Forum Discussion

FatDaddyWampus
Contributor
3 years ago
Solved

Check out these modem levels...

And then check out this blazing fast GIGABLAST SPEED!!!!!!!

I just don't have the energy to call their Tech Support anymore.  This is what oversubscribing nodes looks like.

• Ok, Cox fixed something yesterday and I have no idea what, because they won't tell me.  Can't wait to have problems again so Cox can blame MY equipment again!

20 Replies

Replies have been turned off for this discussion
  • Ok, Cox fixed something yesterday and I have no idea what, because they won't tell me.  Can't wait to have problems again so Cox can blame MY equipment again!

Danielle_B_
      New Contributor II

Try to get port forwarding working
      that's the next magic trick i'm waiting on

CrystalS
    Former Moderator
    Hello @FatDaddyWampus,

That is not the way the internet is supposed to work. This appears as if you may need someone to look into your account. We would definitely be able to assist you with this. Please reach us on Twitter at @CoxHelp, visit us on Facebook, or email us at cox.help@cox.com. Provide us the name on the account with the complete service address with a link to this thread so we can get started.

Crystal S.
    Cox Support Forum Moderator
      Bruce
      Honored Contributor III
      That is not the way the internet is supposed to work.

i see what you did there.  Instead of recognizing "Cox Internet," you deflected the problem to the entire Internet.

FatDaddyWampus
        Contributor

Yeah, I was dumbfounded by that comment..."That's not how it's supposed to work"...yeah, that's why I'm here.

Bruce
    Honored Contributor III

What technically is a "blast" on a network?  Perhaps Cox defines "blast" as a network conflict?  If so, Cox is fulfilling their promise of 1 billion of 'em!

• Cox technician came out and said my tap was bad, but after talking with his supervisor, and having a similar call at another house, they're saying the whole "Area 7" is bad and they're investigating it.  I told the supervisor if I didn't hear anything back by Monday, I'd give him a ring.  I guess I'm at a loss as to why Cox doesn't have hardware to monitor their hardware and they need customers to call and let them know their network is busted.  It's a multibillion dollar company...

Dave9
      Contributor III
      I guess I'm at a loss as to why Cox doesn't have hardware to monitor their hardware and they need customers to call and let them know their network is busted. 

Just a guess, but I think if Cox knew about all of the problems on the network they would be obligated to fix the problems or else be accused of selling a service that they know is defective. So they wait for people to call in and report issues. If you want good service you have to deal with tech visits and service calls. That's just how it is with cable internet. Not just Cox but all cable internet. It's a very delicate technology that is always breaking down. Sad but true.

• Just got off the phone with a field tech supervisor, Cox still doesn't know what the problem is and they're still trying to fix it.  Basic troubleshooting says begin where it works and work backwards down the network until it doesn't work.  At least I'm running megablast now:  

Dave9
      Contributor III

This is a very strange one. How long was your modem running when you originally posted those modem signals? Was it at least 24 hours? Your signals are great, you have an OFDM channel and the only problem seems to be downstream. It seems like it would take an incredible level of oversubscription to cause that much of a downstream slowdown, and yet still have upstream working fine. Can you post your modem signals again after letting the modem run for at least 24 hours? I want to see if you have any uncorrectable codewords (which you shouldn't on a clean line. I've had less than 50 uncorrectable code words outside of maintenance windows in the last 8 months but all of my problems involve noise on the upstream).

FatDaddyWampus
        Contributor

Modem has been up for 71 hrs (first post was about 21hrs).  When I first posted my levels, I had a 2 way splitter in to knock down the signal (other port terminated), because I think 10dBmV is too hot for the modem, but the tech removed it.  This has of course lowered my upstream levels, because the line has less attenuation on it now.  Either way, MY connection to Cox is pretty solid, I'm just getting ** for bandwidth, but so are my neighbors and apparently everyone in "Area 7" of Las Vegas.

• Here's what I'm forced to deal with now...also, speeds are rocking at 40Mbps today.

CrystalS
      Former Moderator
      Hello @FatDaddyWampus,

I'm sorry that you are going through this. This appears as if you may need someone to look into your account. We would definitely be able to assist you with this. Please reach us on Twitter at @CoxHelp, visit us on Facebook, or email us at cox.help@cox.com. Provide us the name on the account with the complete service address with a link to this thread so we can get started. Please allow us to assist you with this.

Crystal S.
      Cox Support Forum Moderator
        FatDaddyWampus
        Contributor

Stop posting this.  If you took the time to read this thread, you'd see that I've already contacted your incompetent help department.

• When I got home tonight the useless Cox app was actually updated with "there's an outage in your area", then my internet went down (my neighbor's too) and after it came back up I did a speed test and got this:

Then about 10 mins later I got this:

Then about 2 hrs later I was back down to this:

Looks like as everyone's internet was coming online, the network was getting saturated.  It's probably time to just do another FCC complaint, because this doesn't really look like anything beyond Cox oversubscribing.