Forum Discussion

Mavese
New Contributor
5 years ago

Arris TG1682 Easily Found Backdoor

Not sure why cox would set me up with a modem that has known security flaws. Perhaps it was intentional? It has since turned my computer into a virtual machine. With a persistent virus that will hide itself in ram and firmware. I have tried to get support from cox, over the phone and online. They seemed baffled and had no idea about  basic internet security. So I was moved up to the next  agent about 3 times. Until eventually I spoke to someone, who said the best they could do was send a technician out for $80. Why would I need a technician? I told them I was adept a pc's. A warning to anyone who recieves this modem. It along with cox have the ability to monitor you,basically at will. Be sure to do your own research.

4 Replies

• Instead of paying the $80 just go out and purchase your own DOCSIS 3.1 modem that is compatible with Cox. Problem solved ~ and no monthly modem charge.

bearone2
    Contributor III

they can see email, phone log, billing address, # of wi-fi devices....what else are they accessing from you?

virus is more from sites you visit & cox has no control of what you do.

Mickey20
    New Contributor

Could you be more specific?  What indications did you have that you had a virus?