Forum Discussion

Humming_and_buz
New Contributor
9 years ago

Multiple HDTVs on one box?

I currently have a HD cable box connected to a HDTV.  I am thinking of getting a second HDTV for another level of my townhome.  Is there any way to run two HDTVs from one HD box?  Based on other posts I'm guessing that I can't do that until (if) Cox goes to wireless boxes.  So will I need a second box?  And if so, is there a multiple box discount for loyal long-term customers like myself?  :-)

4 Replies

Replies have been turned off for this discussion
    chris_c21
    Contributor III

1. You will not be able to run multiple TVs with one box; one box per TV.

2. There is no discount I have ever heard of for having multiple boxes, however you can look into getting a Minibox (if they're available in your market) in place of another $8.50 Advanced Receiver.

bryaninphx
    Valued Contributor

Depending on the box, both HDMI and Component may be active at the same time.

If so run HDMI to one and Component to the other.

StephanieA
    Former Moderator
    You can connect with HDMI and component cables to two different TVs however the same programming will play on both. If you want to watch independently, you will need a second receiver or mini box. Promotions vary every quarter and by markets. Once you decide to add the additional equipment, you can call to see what's available.

Bruce
    Honored Contributor III

You don't need to wait for Cox to market another gizmo.  You can purchase a wireless HDMI kit and connect it to your set-top box.  The wireless HDMI kit contains a transmitter, which connects to your one set-top box, and a number of receivers, which in your situation would be two.  You connect a receiver to each TV.

Of course, since you have one set-top box, only the program tuned (ABC, NBC, HBO, etc) can be transmitted to the other TV sets.  Meaning, you can't simultaneously watch different programs on each TV.

Check out IOGear.  It transmits at 5GHz, so there's less interference.  It can be powered by the TV via its USB port, so you don't need to run a power cord to an outlet.  While you're watching the other TV on the other level of your townhouse, the connected wireless receiver will transmit your remote control signals back to the transmitter.  Meaning you can change the channel of the set-top box from the second TV.