Forum Discussion

relayer35
New Contributor
10 years ago

Clear QAM gone in CT with Digital Transition

I knew this was coming, so it's no surprise. I understand the benefits of dropping analog signals to free up bandwidth, despite the fact that many TV's that were hooked up for free are going to have to eventually pay $1.99/box. But dropping the Clear QAM doesn't seem to have any benefit for the consumer, and only serves to increase revenues for Cox because stations that were once free will now cost $1.99/month (not to mention my TV tuner no longer functions at all, and Clear QAM channels provided 5.1 surround tracks when available and the mini boxes do not).

How does this benefit the consumer?

6 Replies

Replies have been turned off for this discussion
    AllenP
    Valued Contributor

You can always use the Cox solution to the DD issue with the minibox ... spend more $$$$$$.  As we have been told, if you want 5.1 sound, you can replace the minibox with a digital receiver @ $8.50/mo.

Another drawback to the minibox is remote clutter.  Sure the minibox remote will turn on and off the TV but what if you use other functions of the tv, such as sleep timer.  The minibox remote is useless, you still have to keep around the original tv remote to use those functions and the minibox remote to change channels ... or purchase something like the Harmony that supports both devices.

Regardless of the spin, it's not a win for the consumer.

Domino
    Valued Contributor III

AllenP said:

You can always use the Cox solution to the DD issue with the minibox ... spend more $$$$$$.  As we have been told, if you want 5.1 sound, you can replace the minibox with a digital receiver @ $8.50/mo.

Another drawback to the minibox is remote clutter.  Sure the minibox remote will turn on and off the TV but what if you use other functions of the tv, such as sleep timer.  The minibox remote is useless, you still have to keep around the original tv remote to use those functions and the minibox remote to change channels ... or purchase something like the Harmony that supports both devices.

Regardless of the spin, it's not a win for the consumer.

The loss of ClearQAM basic channels is not a win for the consumer. No question about that. But the elimination of the 6MHz-wide analog NTSC channels and replacing with 10 or more 256QAM digital channels is a win for the consumer if only because of improved picture quality. If Cox uses the freed-up bandwidth for more HD channels, then it's even a bigger consumer win.

AllenP
    Valued Contributor

There is no win in my case, @Domino.  98% of what we watch direct from the cable is clear QAM, not the analog cable channels.  I have a Contour DVR on my main tv for that.  I now face $4/mo additional charges (in the future), 2 more boxes, 2 remotes in place of 1, and no more 5.1 sound, just stereo vs maybe more HD channels in the future.  I don't see a win for me here.

Domino
    Valued Contributor III

AllenP said:

There is no win in my case, @Domino.  98% of what we watch direct from the cable is clear QAM, not the analog cable channels.  I have a Contour DVR on my main tv for that.  I now face $4/mo additional charges (in the future), 2 more boxes, 2 remotes in place of 1, and no more 5.1 sound, just stereo vs maybe more HD channels in the future.  I don't see a win for me here.

If you don't consider a large increase in the number of HD (and SD, for that matter) you receive as a plus, I guess not. And if you truly only watch your HD locals (ClearQAM), just use an antenna. Locals in HD and lots of sub-channels that Cox doesn't carry.

BTW, why do you put the "@" in front of my name?

relayer35
    New Contributor

You only get that increase in number of channels if you have a box, there is only a handful of additional channels available on the mini box that weren't available with analog connected direct to the TV. And the difference is now you have to pay for the box.

And antennas aren't cure alls. At least where I live I cannot get all the local channels with an antenna that were available with clear QAM. Not to mention the lack of 5.1 sound. I'm still struggling to see how taking away clear QAM is a benefit to the customer.

Domino
    Valued Contributor III

relayer35 said:

You only get that increase in number of channels if you have a box, there is only a handful of additional channels available on the mini box that weren't available with analog connected direct to the TV.

There are dozens of HD channels that were not available without a box that the mini-box will receive.

I'm still struggling to see how taking away clear QAM is a benefit to the customer.

Who claimed that the loss of ClearQAM was a benefit to the consumer?