Forum Discussion

Maven
New Contributor
10 years ago

"No signal detected for this channel" error 3.1.1.1

Here is my ongoing problem with Cox that spans YEARS now, and frankly, we're getting very tired of it.  It's mostly when you power on the unit, whereupon a blue box slides out from the right side of the screen that says:  "Sorry, there is currently no TV signal detected for this channel.  The channel may be temporarily off air.  Please try again later.  If the problem continues, please contact Cox Customer Servie at (866)961-1207.  Reference 3.1.3.0 when calling.  Alternatively, you can press the GUIDE button on your remote control to watch programs on other channels."  The error message number varies from 3.1.3.0, 3.1.1.2, 3.1.4.2, 3.1.1.1, but these error message numbers apparently don't really mean anything because no tech I've spoken with has any idea what they mean.

We are on the Contour 6 box with a Samsung SmartTV and a Denon receiver.

The problem is sporadic, but happens regulary.  And I mean regularly, as in OFTEN, sometimes more than once a day.

You can pull up the guide, pick another channel, which will come on, and then go back to your other channel, and everything works.  Until you power it down and back up, and then...

I should state that calling for a technician to come out is pretty futile because they send out tier 1 mostly contracted technicians who only know how to do three things:  1) swap out your cable box; 2) replace your outside lines, and 3) suggest you pay someone to replace your inside lines.  We have done all three of these, the latter of which cost us nearly $400 out of pocket, and we still have the same problem, which is quite obviously a Cox issue, but Cox isn't very interested at all in fixing it.

We have had our audio guys come out here on two occasions to verify there is no problems with our TV equipment and to perform a factory reset on the receiver.

We have also completely swapped out and bought a new TV set AND our receiver since this problem started, and we have the same problem.

We have had multiple cable boxes and versions of cable boxes, same problem.

Our signal strength has been reported as strong.

Most of the technicians I have spoken to on the phone have all been very apologetic and reiterate how we have been valued Cox customers for years, they have sent out people who have spent quite a bit of time here trying everything they can think of, and one left his personal phone number and his managers phone number, saying they would respond if we needed them again.  However, disappointingly, the manager never responded to a voicemail I left, and the technician was supposed to call me on Monday, and there was no return phone call, abandoning us to live with this issue.

I have seen one other thread from 2014 that reiterates my exact same problem, but I did not see a resolution.  Does anyone else want to weigh in on this issue, and please, if you ever found something that solved it, we would be very interested in knowing how you solved it, short of DIRECTV, which would appear at this point to be our only sure-fire option to be rid of this issue.

25 Replies

Replies have been turned off for this discussion