Forum Discussion

Ric_M
New Contributor III
10 years ago

Contour 6 Problems

We had the whole-home network with two DVRs and a player.  I'd heard about Contour 6's capabilities.  By replacing one of my older DVRs with a Contour 6, and replacing the other older DVR with just a player, I would be able to record six channels at once (both older DVRs combined offered four), and storage was at least doubled.  So I had it put in.

That was two weeks ago and I'm about to throw this "new and improved" box in the fireplace.  I don't think we've gone a full 48 hours without something going wrong:

1. Both players will see recorded shows on the list, but when we try to play anything back, an error telling us there's a problem and to try again later pops up.  Rebooting the DVR usually fixes this.
  2. Haven't been able to pause live TV on either receiver.  Get a message that says, "Please wait", which would probably stay on until the end of time, but rebooting sometimes clears this up.
  3. The DVR has rebooted completely on its own at least seven times over the 14 days we've had this contraption.  On at least two occasions the reboot process hangs and I had to physically unplug the power cord to force another reboot.  On at least three other occasions after the reboot is complete, the picture is jerky, and by that I mean it looks like it went from 60 frames per second to 15.  Again, rebooting sometimes fixes it.
  4. On the rare occasion that four shows are recording at one time, the receivers are unable to play back anything - only allow live TV. 
  5. Channels come and go on a whim.  There are times we change channels only to have a blank screen for a while before a message pops up either telling us that channel is off the air or we have to subscribe to it.  Really, I have to subscribe to the local ABC or NBC affiliate????  This happens on both receivers AND the DVR itself.

If this is Cox's way of providing the latest technologies, then maybe they need to run it through some real time tests, and I don't mean in a lab.  The Contour 6 is subpar and something I will be sure to tell everyone NOT to get.  I really wish I had my old set up back.  In the three years we had that configuration, I can only recall two occasions where I had to reboot the boxes.

13 Replies

Replies have been turned off for this discussion