Forum Discussion

Rik
New Contributor
10 years ago

auto-shut off of TV cable

I am very unhappy with a new (in the last year) practice of Cox Communications services. After several hours of viewing (or recording) they shut down the cable service! I have missed the ends of numerous sports events and movies because of this. How can I shut this off and get my cable to stay on?

3 Replies

Replies have been turned off for this discussion
    Domino
    Valued Contributor III

Is your entire cable shutting down, or is your cable box just shutting off? What box do you have? What program guide (Rovi Passport or Contour)?? If Contour, it could be as simple as turning OFF the automatic shut-down feature. Go to:

SETTINGS -> RECEIVERS -> POWER MANAGER -> RECEIVER POWER

and set to POWER OFF MANUALLY.

Rik
    New Contributor

It is shutting down just as if I pushed the power button on the remote. The box I have is a Cisco and I'm pretty sure it's not a Contour.

Your solution worked....or at least time will tell. (fingers crossed).

Domino
    Valued Contributor III

Rik said:

It is shutting down just as if I pushed the power button on the remote. The box I have is a Cisco and I'm pretty sure it's not a Contour.

Your solution worked....or at least time will tell. (fingers crossed).

OK, so the cable isn't shutting off, just the box. All Cisco DVRs have a model number. 8642HDC? 8742HDC? 9865HDC? If your guide has the menu string I suggested, then it is indeed Contour. What does it say in the lower left corner when the grid guide is showing?