Forum Discussion

Timj3371
New Contributor
10 years ago

Contour box

I have a recently installed cable box well this is the third one. Others had no power or that they were used from previous jobs and could not be installed correctly.

I started having issues the first week after install.I would notice when turing off the box and tv come back serval hours later. I would turn on the tv and then the box. After turning on the box i would have to change channel to get picture. it only happened once or twice. It was on a older tv a tube one using AV cables. Well I got a new TV Flat one with HDMI. Worked great the first night. The second moring i turned tv on and and box has power icon and i had no signal. Called reset the box the rep on the phone had no idea and hung up on me called back told the rep I tried the cable on all of my HDMI ports and still nothng But on my PS3 works no issue at all. Leaving it on overnight. The second rep reset the box and the picture came up.Went to work after pressing power button on remote and for both tv and box. That same day i turned on tv with remote had no picture. made sure i had power to the box and tv. Unpluged the box with a phone call from support. it worked no issues. The Rep said to leave box on when going to bed and tv on. Well the box guess shut down when i woke up. So i pressed my tv button on my remote waited and then pressed cable box it worked. But my question is why do i have to leave tv box on all the time?? Any ideas or the box is bad ? If  so i need to watch my programs and delete my shows dont want to lose them. Thanks  

5 Replies

Replies have been turned off for this discussion
    ChrisL
    Former Moderator
    I'm wondering from what you've described if the box is simply turning itself off.  The next time you turn your TV on and don't have picture try pressing the power button on the box or the remote when in cable mode to see if that gets it going.  Note that even when powered off the box will still have an actively lit display.

yak
    Contributor III

@Tim, i have had my Contour for over 1 year.  I really enjoy it.  Of the problems you mention, i have only one of them. When i turn on my DVR, the channel is black.  There is a box on-screen saying to call Cox and tell them 3.1.1.1

I need to change the channel to get a station to appear.  Then i can immediately go back to that first channel and it works fine.  Rebooting the dvr does not help.  

I hope Cox can get your box working because it is really fun to record 6 shows; plus the Contour has fun features like music from Pandora that you can customize.

Dina
    Contributor III
    Yak, 

I have the same issue you're talking about but only when I accidentally leave the the cable box on and only turn off the TV. The reason for this is the Switched Digital Video channels which ask you to confirm you're still watching after 4-6 hours. If it's not turned off, the box continues to receive that signal & when the select button is not pressed to confirm you're still watching, it freezes. When you're done watching TV and go to turn of your system, try pressing CBL Power, then TV Power to turn both off. This should resolve the issue. 
    Timj3371
    New Contributor

Chris 

What i was referring to about power was that after a certain amount of time the power led turns off but the time and stays lit.

Yak 

That what it was doing after i had my contour box for a few days. 

Dina

I do use the remote to turn off Both the tv and dvr. But when i leave for the day i come back and use the remote to power on cable box and then the tv after waiting for a few seconds. No signal appears on my screen. only thing i can do is to unplug if that does not work i have to call and get the connection reset. Yes i did check all of my hdmi connections they all do the same thing. My ps3 works great. 

Just a follow up 

Domino
    Valued Contributor III

yak said:

@Tim, i have had my Contour for over 1 year.  I really enjoy it.  Of the problems you mention, i have only one of them. When i turn on my DVR, the channel is black.  There is a box on-screen saying to call Cox and tell them 3.1.1.1

I need to change the channel to get a station to appear.  Then i can immediately go back to that first channel and it works fine.  Rebooting the dvr does not help.  

Your problem sounds like you are turning off your box when it is tuned to a SDV channel. Try leaving it on a non SDV channel when you turn your DVR off.