Forum Discussion

Auberjene
New Contributor
11 years ago

Screen size vs picture size

I have a large 55" screen tv but the programs don't fill the space.  There is a big black border all the way around the picture.  Isn't there a button on the remote that solves this issue?

4 Replies

Replies have been turned off for this discussion
    Domino
    Valued Contributor III

Auberjene: "I have a large 55" screen tv but the programs don't fill the space.  There is a big black border all the way around the picture.  Isn't there a button on the remote that solves this issue?"

First off, what model cable box are you using? Which firmware? Which remote?

Secondly, does this occur on all channels, or just on the standard definition ones? On HDTV?

Finally, how did you setup the aspect ratio settings?

The old Passport firmware had its remote toggle from "normal" to "stretch" to "zoom." Trio (Contour) only toggles between "normal" and "stretch." Perhaps your TV has a "zoom" function.

ChrisL
    Former Moderator
    I'd check for one to make sure you're watching an HD channel.  Those are usually in the 1000's.  Note too that not all networks are broadcasting in wide screen format.  You can also adjust the zoom feature on either the TV or box by using the HD Zoom button near the top of the remote.

Domino
    Valued Contributor III

ChrisL said:
    I'd check for one to make sure you're watching an HD channel.  Those are usually in the 1000's.  Note too that not all networks are broadcasting in wide screen format.  You can also adjust the zoom feature on either the TV or box by using the HD Zoom button near the top of the remote.

Chris, et. al.,

The "HD ZOOM" button on the remote only supports "stretching" the video when used with Trio (Contour.) It supported "STRETCH" and "ZOOM" with Passport. Hopefully soon, all video will be 16:9, making the "HD ZOOM" button obsolete (except for those with 4:3 monitors.)