Forum Discussion

MLB_Extra_Innin
New Contributor
11 years ago

MLB Extra Innings Package

Will the MLB Extra Innings Package be available this year? And will games be available in HD?

7 Replies

Replies have been turned off for this discussion
    CODER9306
    New Contributor

Do we know when it will be available?  I'm in San Diego and the season starts tomorrow (it will be ESPN) but the rest of the season starts Monday, 2 days from now.  Why it taking so long to be available?

Domino
    Valued Contributor III

CODER9306 said:

Do we know when it will be available?  I'm in San Diego and the season starts tomorrow (it will be ESPN) but the rest of the season starts Monday, 2 days from now.  Why it taking so long to be available?

Cox's own website says "Out of season. Check back next season for the early-bird ordering special."  Too funny!

http://ww2.cox.com/residential/tv/sports-packages.cox

Bruce
    Honored Contributor III

As far as HD, does Cox allocate any HD channels to MLB Extra Innings?  In Northern Virginia, all MLB Extra Innings channels are in the 600s, which are SD.  Even if the original broadcast is in HD, it's down-converted to 480i and the 16:9 format only fills 2/3 of my screen.

Even the promotions for MLB Extra Innings are in 16:9 but somewhere they're reformatted to 4:3 because the edges are cut off.

Why doesn't Cox allocate HD channels to MLB Extra Innings?

Domino
    Valued Contributor III

Bruce said:

As far as HD, does Cox allocate any HD channels to MLB Extra Innings?  In Northern Virginia, all MLB Extra Innings channels are in the 600s, which are SD.  Even if the original broadcast is in HD, it's down-converted to 480i and the 16:9 format only fills 2/3 of my screen.

Even the promotions for MLB Extra Innings are in 16:9 but somewhere they're reformatted to 4:3 because the edges are cut off.

Why doesn't Cox allocate HD channels to MLB Extra Innings?

That must be area specific. In my area, SD is 671-684 and HD is 1671-1679. [1673-1679 require 1GHz/H.264 capable receivers.]

Bruce
    Honored Contributor III

Our SD channels for MLB Extra are almost the same...but the HD channels jump from 1506-1850.

Is there room for improvement?  Yes.  But there has been room for the past 6 years.

• Bruce - Just found out we have to buy Contour from Cox to get the channels in HD. Contour is also a significant amount more each month than a regular HD box. Just another way Cox tries to rob you. A tip Bruce - just buy MLB.tv. You get all the games in HD for only $110.  

Bruce
    Honored Contributor III

I subscribed to MLB Extra Innings for 2-3 years but without HD broadcasts, it's wasn't a great value at $250 per season.  I now listen to the games on Sirius XM.

FYI...MLB Extra Innings is free preview this weekend...and usually the week after the All-Star break.