Forum Discussion

skoot51
New Contributor
11 years ago

What do I need and how do I hook the cable box to a high def tv?

What cables do I need and how do I hook up the cable box to a high def tv? Do i hook up the line from the "cable in" as well as a HDMI cable??

4 Replies

Replies have been turned off for this discussion
    ChrisL
    Former Moderator
    For the connection to the TV you just need either an HDMI cable or a set of component cables but not both.  Either option will deliver a high-def signal.
    Bruce
    Honored Contributor III

Connect the coaxial cable from your wall to the cable box.  Then connect an HDMI cable from the cable box to your TV.

If you also have Cox Internet, connect the coaxial cable from your wall to a splitter...if you need to buy one, stay away from Radio Shack and get a digital-capable splitter rated at 1GHz frequency.  You will then need 2 coaxial cables.  Connect one coaxial cable from your new splitter to the Internet modem.  Then connect the other coaxial cable from your splitter to your cable box.  Then connect an HDMI cable from the cable box to your TV.

If you have a telephone modem, don't connect the previous coaxial cable from the splitter to your Internet modem.  Instead, connect it from the splitter to the telephone modem...get a third coaxial cable...and connect the third coaxial cable from the telephone modem to the Internet modem.  Don't forget to plug an RJ-11 cable (telephone plug) from the telephone modem to a telephone outlet on your wall.

Domino
    Valued Contributor III

Bruce said:

Connect the coaxial cable from your wall to the cable box.  Then connect an HDMI cable from the cable box to your TV.

If you also have Cox Internet, connect the coaxial cable from your wall to a splitter...if you need to buy one, stay away from Radio Shack and get a digital-capable splitter rated at 1GHz frequency.  You will then need 2 coaxial cables.  Connect one coaxial cable from your new splitter to the Internet modem.  Then connect the other coaxial cable from your splitter to your cable box.  Then connect an HDMI cable from the cable box to your TV.

I also view ClearQAM channels on my TV. So, I use a 1->3 splitter. Cable from the wall to splitter input. One splitter output to cable modem; second splitter output to cable box (DVR); third splitter output to TV RF input. Also, HDMI cable from cable box to TV.