Forum Discussion

GuessImSavingMo
New Contributor
3 years ago
Solved

DRM on all non-local channels - Omaha

As of this morning, August 10, my non local channels stopped working. Did a rescan on the channels and it looks like they all have drm on them now. Same thing happened back in January but Cox changed it back. Anyone else seeing this? My setup is hdhomerun prime tuners with cable cards. If this doesn't get fixed I'll be forced to cancel my service and go with something else. 

• If you are using a PC-based CableCARD-enabled device from companies such as SiliconDust (e.g., HDHomeRun Prime), ATI (e.g. ATI – TV Wonder) or Ceton (e.g. infiniTV) you must use equipment and software that is DRM-compliant to view DRM-protected channels.

If you wish to record DRM-protected channels, these devices require that Windows Media Center (WMC) must be used to support copy protection.  Some of these devices may require WMC to even view copy-protected channels.  Unfortunately, Microsoft announced in 2015 that WMC would no longer be supported beginning with Windows 10. 

Please contact your device manufacturer if you have additional questions about compatible equipment or software configurations. 

• If you are using a TiVo and are unable to view or make recordings please contact TiVo. 
  • Have Cox send a tech to your home... I feel like the last time this happened, enough people caused Cox wasted time they turned it (DRM Flag) back off...  But last time they weren't as forthcoming as they have been in this forum. So it might be pretty concrete at this point. You're still a customer until you cancel though. So roll a truck to your house and waste their time. I know I'll be doing that while I'm watching my 2-week free trial of YouTube TV, knowing full well where this all will end up. 

I'll be recommending them provide me with a few free cable boxes to start with for at least 2 years. We'll see. if they don't then I'll cancel it.

They're trying to protect their content from us honest folks that are willing to pay for it, but still want better access than what Contour can provide. 

Sad... Bunch of Cox..

23 Replies

Replies have been turned off for this discussion
    ChristopherC
    Former Moderator
    • If you are using a PC-based CableCARD-enabled device from companies such as SiliconDust (e.g., HDHomeRun Prime), ATI (e.g. ATI – TV Wonder) or Ceton (e.g. infiniTV) you must use equipment and software that is DRM-compliant to view DRM-protected channels.

If you wish to record DRM-protected channels, these devices require that Windows Media Center (WMC) must be used to support copy protection.  Some of these devices may require WMC to even view copy-protected channels.  Unfortunately, Microsoft announced in 2015 that WMC would no longer be supported beginning with Windows 10. 

Please contact your device manufacturer if you have additional questions about compatible equipment or software configurations. 

• If you are using a TiVo and are unable to view or make recordings please contact TiVo. 
    Footballerccs
    New Contributor II

Have Cox send a tech to your home... I feel like the last time this happened, enough people caused Cox wasted time they turned it (DRM Flag) back off...  But last time they weren't as forthcoming as they have been in this forum. So it might be pretty concrete at this point. You're still a customer until you cancel though. So roll a truck to your house and waste their time. I know I'll be doing that while I'm watching my 2-week free trial of YouTube TV, knowing full well where this all will end up. 

I'll be recommending them provide me with a few free cable boxes to start with for at least 2 years. We'll see. if they don't then I'll cancel it.

They're trying to protect their content from us honest folks that are willing to pay for it, but still want better access than what Contour can provide. 

Sad... Bunch of Cox..

tfjield
    New Contributor II

Same problem here in Southern California.

Caeguy
    New Contributor

Same here. Dont have a happy household right now. Anyone?

CrystalS
      Former Moderator
      Hello @Caeguy,

This appears as if you may need someone to look into your account. We would definitely be able to assist you with this. Please reach us on Twitter at @CoxHelp, visit us on Facebook, or email us at cox.help@cox.com. Provide us the name on the account with the complete service address with a link to this thread so we can get started.

Crystal S.
      Cox Support Forum Moderator

Caeguy
        New Contributor

Thank you. I sent an email to Support with a link to this thread. I do hope this DRM will be reversed... like in the past. Otherwise, I'll need to move on to a different service.

Footballerccs
    New Contributor II

Same here in Omaha, NE

tried explaining it happened in January, but they still insist it could be that both of my devices went out at the exact same time. And that’s it’s coincidence the DRM flag suddenly appears when rescanning for channels. Ya, it MUST be the equipment. Roll a truck out. Let’s make it expensive. 

Footballerccs
      New Contributor II

At least this time my research is already done of the best TV streaming… spoiler alert, it’s YouTube TV. 

CrystalS
        Former Moderator
        Hello @Footballerccs,

This appears as if you may need someone to look into your account. We would definitely be able to assist you with this. Please reach us on Twitter at @CoxHelp, visit us on Facebook, or email us at cox.help@cox.com. Provide us the name on the account with the complete service address with a link to this thread so we can get started.

Crystal S.
        Cox Support Forum Moderator
    muzicman0
    New Contributor

I will be cancelling Cox cable if this does remain permanent.  We use it in the office with Cable Cards, so that will most likely be cancelled as well.

• Same changes in CT, looks like I may be cancelling my cable tv subscription sooner than I thought too...

brent20
    New Contributor III

Same issue here in Omaha- yes, this happened back in January and was eventually resolved (reverted) by Cox. I will also email the CableCARD support rep that I worked with. This is absolutely unacceptable. 

JimtheWide
    New Contributor

Yet more unhappiness, hours on phone with support, including the Cable Card guru.  No resolution.  Suggestion was to swap cable cards with newer from the local store.   This had happened before some time back and then DRM was backed out.