Forum Discussion

Sugrat
New Contributor
11 years ago

No Shows on CBS recorded tonight - wife mad...

Can someone please explain to me why all my cbs shows didn't record tonight but everything else did?
The shows say a technical issue happened but luckily I noticed the record light wasn't on while it was "recording" one of the shows, on the guide it showed a red light but not on the front of the box, it also didn't show the current recording of the show in the dvr list either. 
Seeing it was only a few minutes in to the show, I pressed the stop button and was presented with the stop/save etc, I saved it and then quickly hit the record and it said it was recording but again no red light on the front of the box. 
So to see if it was a box issue, I clicked record on a different channel and red light came up and the recording showed in the dvr menu. 
So I left the cbs recording to see if it would show in the dvr menu at the end but nope, it shows under missed shows with technical issue. 
I've just rebooted the box so hopefully cbs will record now, still waiting for the box to come up to test. 
I'm sorry but the tv service from cox is getting to be a joke, I've tried their home network two dvrs and had issues, now I've swapped over to the contour system, still problems.....
They need to fix to one thing and make sure it's good... I came from directv but I hated having the satellite dish but I never had issues with the equipment or recording a simple show. 
So do you expect us to reboot our units all the time to fix your issues?
Signed
Very unhappy customer

9 Replies

Replies have been turned off for this discussion
    David_Z
    New Contributor

I have a tuner hooked up to my computer and Cox changed the frequencies transmitted for 1002 and 1009.  It is annoying that they do this without warning.  My older model DVR (non-contour capable) appears to have recorded 1002 Thur night.  It must have adjusted itself automatically.  They should have done this in the middle of summer not when the fall season is starting for many shows.

Gigimax
    New Contributor

I had the same problem with the new contour. No cbs shows taped, it happened tonight and last Thursday 

nola70124
    New Contributor

Similar issues here since I got the service 3 weeks ago.  I found a workaround that seems to be working.  When I am recording a series of only first run episodes, if I don't check a specific air time, then it seems to record.  If I choose the series option of first run and repeats and/or I choose a specific air time, it often does not record.  This seems to only happen with certain shows.  This is possibly due to some shows that start after the top of the hour (for instance 8:01 instead of 8:00).  I'm getting no support through Cox phone support. All they ever tell me to do is reset the box.  I don't want to have to reset my box all the time.  In addition to this, I also get an annoying buzzer noise when I pause live tv on the main unit, pause live tv does not work on the satellite dvr units, and certain recorded shows do not play on the satellite receivers but will play on the main unit.  I am tired of resetting my boxes.  not going so well here.....

poolside
    New Contributor

I also can not get CBS shows to record, very irritating, never had this problem with the older DVR recorder.

Reset did not solve this problem are there any other solutions.

KipK
    Valued Contributor II

poolside said:
    I also can not get CBS shows to record, very irritating, never had this problem with the older DVR recorder.

Reset did not solve this problem are there any other solutions.

The Record 6 host receiver associated with your forum profile shows an uptime of  21 days, so I'm not sure how you know a reset didn't solve the problem. 

Local tech support leads sent this off to Atlanta, and found that in the cases where a Contour DVR did not take the new service mapping after the frequency changes in Orange County and Palos Verdes on 9/25-26 for some reason, all the accounts that Engineering was able to check were back to normal operation after a proper power-cycle of all host units unless they had a signal or hardware problem that requires a service call.

Sugrat
    New Contributor

Thank you for the replies from the other users but I have to say that i'm still disappointed with COX sand their level of service to customers.

I completely understand that from now and then, everything piece of equipment has issues (I work in IT so i know this is true) and need a reboot to start it fresh but here's my biggest issue, we pay for this service, it's not included free, we pay for the channel coming in to our homes, the DVR and we also pay to have that DVR record shows.

So when it doesn't work we are mad because a) we missed shows and b) paid for missed shows...

Support/Tech's answer is always, recycle the power... can you manage that happening else where? your on a plane and the captain tells you that he's having to recycle the power on the engines because support told him to do that first??? or a doctor says they are going to recycle the heart monitor?? no it doesn't happen!!! ;-)

I know that this forum only gets the ones that have issues and doesn't hear from the others that have no problems.. 

I just want a service that works...

Fingers crossed that my shows get recorded this week or the wife might cut something off ;-)

nola70124
    New Contributor

I agree, Sugrat.  Very frustrated here.  Customer service has been underwhelming.  It hit a low point two weeks ago, when the technician finally decided to call me at 6:30 for a service appointment that was scheduled between 3 and 5.  The technician wanted to know if he still needed to come out!!!!!  Anyhow, I am typing this as I am going through yet another rebooting of the whole home dvr.  Still have the same issues with recorded shows not displaying on the non-host dvrs, not being able to pause live tv except on the main dvr, buzzing noise when I pause.  I haven't posted yet in the internet forum about the lack of signal strength for internet.  Still trying to work through those issues with them.  I just don't know about this bundle stuff.  

nola70124
    New Contributor

To add to my latest issues (and I am power cycling daily as well as calling for refresh signals):

- When I fast forward recorded programs (if they do happen to play at all), the volume does not come on after I hit play.  I have to exit the recorded program and change channels in order for the volume to come back on.

I power cycled today and had a refresh signal sent yesterday.  Things were fine until tonight (almost 24 hours!).  My list of current issues:   Will not record certain series, will not play certain recorded programs on the host dvr, will not play even more recorded programs on the other dvrs, buzzing sound when I pause live or recorded TV.  I have found yet another "workaround" for getting recorded shows to play on the remote dvrs:  if I play the recorded show on the host dvr first, it will then play on the remote dvrs.  

Unfortunately, my work schedule is too crazy to even find an appointment time for a technician to come out (and this is especially an issue given that the technician was over 1 1/2 hours late for my last service appointment a few weeks ago).  I also have a feeling that all the technician is going to do is replace the boxes with new boxes that will do the same thing.  I am certainly no expert, but this does not seem like a problem with the boxes.

ChrisL
    Former Moderator
    If you're having to reset the boxes that frequently it certainly does sounds like a possible equipment problem but having a technician come would allow him/her to also check for any wiring or signal issues.