Forum Discussion

Shawrco
New Contributor
8 years ago

Mini box HDMI to DVI-D Sony WEGA HDTV

Just turned in my large hd cable box which had DVI connector on back for the mini box. Prior connection was DVI cable from HD cable box to TV and was using surround sound DVD player for audio and CD/DVD function. Mini box only has HDMI or coax out. TV manual says can't use coax connection with digital cable boxes.

Purchased a HDMI/DVI cable at Best Buy and made connections as before (HDMI to mini box/DVI to TV) but not getting video or audio from the mini box. Selecting input source just as before w/remote which says "cable box".

Will I need some sort of adapter along with the cable? I've seen one adapter that has HDMI on one end and DVI (video) plus USB (power/audio) on the other end. I'll have to check to see if the TV has any USB ports on the back.

Thanks in advance for responses.

5 Replies

Replies have been turned off for this discussion
  • Hi Shawrco,

Does your TV not have any HDMI input ports?

Shawrco
    New Contributor

Unfortunately no HDMI ports, it's an older TV. I thought the cable with correct connectors on both ends would work, but apparently that's not going to be the case.

• Hi Shawrco,

So you've got the coax cable from the outlet connected to the Cable In port on the mini box, and then the HDMI/DVI cable connecting the mini box HDMI port to the DVI port on the TV? Make sure the mini box channel output is set to channel 3 and that the power is plugged in. Is the TV on the correct Input setting? Cycle the TV through each Input option and see if you are getting a signal on any of them. Also, unplug the power from the TV for two minutes and then plug it back in. See if it recognizes the connection to the mini box at that point.

Shawrco
    New Contributor

Hi Becky,

Answer to your description of setup is "affirmative". I have tried all that you said about set on ch3, cycling through input source (checked TV setup menus to see if there is anything amiss there). I will disconnect power to TV when I get home from work to see if that helps. Thanks.

• Hello Shawrco,

Sounds good, I'm sure you noticed but on the back of the mini box there is a switch will allow output to display on channel 3 or 4.  Be sure to test both channels and of course all other inputs.  If unsuccessful please let us know as if we have not we may need to send a signal to that box if it has never operated.