Forum Discussion

jole60
New Contributor
8 years ago

Using Contour With Replaytv

I have three Explorer 4240HDC non-dvr receivers, each connected to a Replaytv DVR with IR Blaster located in the living room, bedroom, and den. I can tune channels and record programs independently across rooms using the cable box and DVR within each room. For example, I can program the living room Replaytv to record Ch. 10 (PBS) at 11:00 pm today; the bedroom Replaytv to record Ch. 200 (HBO) at 2:00 pm tomorrow; and the den Replaytv to record Ch. 341 (BBC) at 10:00 am three days from now. I've been invited to replace my receivers with the newer Contour boxes. Phone conversation with Cox Support suggests, however, that the installation of a Contour Host box with two Client boxes would not support the independent tuning/recording functions I currently have. Consequently, I would like to know if the use of three separate Host boxes would work in this situation. My Replaytvs are coded for use with an Explorer/Cisco box, so I 'd like to know the specific non-dvr receiver model number(s) that might be applicable if this can be accomplished. I would also appreciate hearing about the experience of other Replaytv users with a specific Contour model. Which Contour box (I or 2) works best with Replaytv? Thanks for your consideration.

4 Replies

Replies have been turned off for this discussion
    jole60
    New Contributor
    I'm adding this post to further clarify and simplify my request for information regarding use of a non-dvr Contour receiver with Replaytv. I have three standalone Explorer 4240HDC cable boxes at various locations within the home. They are not networked, do not communicate with each other, and each can be independently tuned to any channel in my subscription package. Each cable box is connected to a Replaytv dvr which can be programmed to record and play back any tuned channel from that box. I would like to know If a Cisco Contour receiver model having the same functionality with Replaytv is available to replace the 4240HDC. I would also appreciate hearing from Replaytv users willing to share their experience with the Cisco Contour 1 or 2 receivers. Thanks for your assistance.
    StephanieA
    Former Moderator
    jole60,

is your intention to keep the recordings separate? If so, that function is not available on Contour 2. The host DVR has all the tuners and the clients are just shells that share the tuners in the host. If you have 1 host and 2 clients and all 3 devices are active and being watched, you can then potentially record 3 shows at any given time but they will show under one recording list.

jole60
    New Contributor
    StephanieA said:
    jole60,

is your intention to keep the recordings separate? If so, that function is not available on Contour 2. The host DVR has all the tuners and the clients are just shells that share the tuners in the host. If you have 1 host and 2 clients and all 3 devices are active and being watched, you can then potentially record 3 shows at any given time but they will show under one recording list.

Thanks for the prompt reply, StephanieA. I've discussed the issue further with Cox Support, and the Cisco Explorer 4742HDC has been recommended as the best replacement for the 4240HDC. It's also a non-dvr receiver, with a Contour 1 program guide, and has the same functionality as a 4240 when connected to an external dvr such as Replaytv.
  • Glad to hear that jole60. Let us know if you have any additional questions.