Forum Discussion

Homony
New Contributor
8 years ago

symbols

The screen guide of channels has, at the low right corner of the screen symbols: a red apple, and a box of popcorn, with percentages for each; what do they mean?

3 Replies

Replies have been turned off for this discussion
    Tecknowhelp
    Valued Contributor II

That usually means there is a glitch with the buffer that loads text into the user interface. It can't understand the code so it shows the cable box equivalent of the wingding font. Rebooting the box should fix it.

• Hi Homony,

You've discovered the Contour 2 popularity ratings that are provided for select movies. The first icon represents the "Tomatometer", a movie rating system provided by Rotten Tomatoes. Based on the published opinions of hundreds of film and television critics, this rating represents the percentage of professional critic reviews that are positive for a given film or television show.

Rotten Tomatoes Rating System

• Fresh – Tomato Icon - The Tomatometer is 60% or higher
    • Rotten – Green Splat Icon - The Tomatometer is 59% or lower

The popcorn icon is provided by Flixter, a movie rating system that combines critical reviews and audience ratings to provide an overview of a movie's quality. The Popcorn logo represents the average user rating.

• The full popcorn bucket means the movie received 3.5 stars or higher by Flixster and Rotten Tomatoes users.
    • The tipped over popcorn bucket means the movie received less than 3.5 stars by Flixster and Rotten Tomatoes users.

Tecknowhelp
    Valued Contributor II

This actually explains a problem I had for YEARS! I would randonly be unable to get to rottentomatoes.com because of a routing problem, even on Google DNS. I could get around it by VPNing to the West coast. I bet it has something to do with how Cox is routing traffic to the site to get the Contour review data. Very interesting. Thanks for correcting me!