Forum Discussion

JimP123
New Contributor
9 years ago

Dodger Games Blacked-Out in MLB Extra Innings Package?

Dear Cox Communications: I understand that Time-Warner Cable still owns the rights to the Dodger games through their service, but please explain to me why I am paying almost $200 for the MLB Extra Innings Package, and Cox is still blacking out all the Dodgers' games on the Extra Innings Package (as well as on local feeds, like Fox Sports West or Primetime), even when Time-Warner is not even offered in my area (Orange County, CA)?! And, frankly, I'm not so much interested in the Dodgers' games themselves; but I would like to see when they do play some of my other favorite teams... Seems unfair to block games when you don't even have the option of the competing cable system service! What gives? Thanks, Jim P. Irvine, CA
  • MLB Extra Innings (and mlb.tv) follow MLB's blackout rules.  You cannot watch Dodgers and Angels games live in Orange County.  Had you read the fine print you would have known that.  It has nothing to do with Cox.

JimP123
    New Contributor
    Thank you, and I HAVE read the fine print, but you are missing my point - you normally CAN watch a MLB Extra Innings local blacked out game in OC, as they are broadcast locally (say on one of the Fox Sports channels, etc.) - So, you CAN see Angel games locally on Cox, but NOT Dodger games on Cox (or even 'over-the-air'), since there is no Time-Warner in OC even available. So, technically, there should be no blackout for them where you can't even watch them locally...And Cox CAN push to carry the Dodgers locally - they just need to work out a deal with Time-Warner!
  • MLB Extra Innings is a package provided by MLB.  They have very specific rules about blackouts.  I live in Arizona.  I have mlb.tv, which is the streaming equivalent of MLB EI.  I cannot watch live Diamondbacks games on mlb.tv at home in Phoenix, because Fox Sports Arizona has exclusive rights to those games in this area.  In your area, Time Warner has those exclusive rights and MLB Extra Innings enforces that exclusivity.  It has nothing to do with Cox, they aren't blacking out anything, just distributing what MLB gives them.

JimP123
    New Contributor
    Thanks again - Btw, at least you CAN watch the D-Backs locally on your local Fox Sports network. We can't even do that here for Dodger games where we have Cox. I found this article, which paints T-W as the main culprit: http://www.latimes.com/business/hiltzik/la-fi-hiltzik-dodgers-greed-20160401-snap-htmlstory.html All I'm saying is that Cox needs to better NEGOTIATE this deal w/T-W. Meanwhile, their customers (and DirecTV's, etc.) are being held hostage until this is settled...we have no choice here as you do!
  • Yes, we can watch the Dbacks, but they are playing so poorly that it's no great privilege.  And ironically we also can get all of the Dodgers games.  I am periodically checking in to hear some of Vin Scully's final games.