Forum Discussion

deanchat
Contributor
9 years ago

Tivo HD + CableCard + Tuning Adapter = Headache

Hi Everyone,

I am in the Hampton Roads region and I added a cablecard (ARRIS M-Card) and tuning adapter (Motorola) to a Tivo HD to try to get ahead of the "all digital" thing and the things have not gone well.  I only get about 10-15 channels now, all from the Starter and Starter HD groups (but I don’t get all channels in those groups).  I subscribe to Cox Premier, so I should have about 300 total channels.  The channels that are not coming in just have a black screen, no error message or anything.  With a cablecard, but non-functional tuning adapter, how many channels should I be getting?  It seems unlikely that almost all channels are SDV and require a tuning adapter.  

It took three Tech Support calls (all were very nice) to get the cable card validated but the tuning adapter is still not working.   Interstingly, the cable card’s  “Data” number was different each time I called (I thought that was a static number), but now it appears stable.  The CC ID and Host ID did not change.  The Conditional Access screen of the the Tivo’s CableCard setup section, which basically just shows a black and white screen of data provided by the card or Cox, shows:

Con: Yes  EBCP: Yes  Val: V 0x0F

The tuning adapter does not do anything except blink the amber light. I have tried the self-activation multiple times and I believe the support folks initiated activation as well.   The Tuning Adapter Diagnostics section of the Tivo (black and white screen provided by the adapter or Cox) shows:

MTR-700 Downstream Status

OOB Freq: 75.250 MHz

Carrier Lock: Yes

SNR: 24 dB Good

Data: Yes

Hunt Mode: None

INBAND FREQ: 000.000 MHz QAM64

Carrier Lock: No

SNR 0 dB Poor

The Tivo knows the tuning adapter is there because when I go to the Tivo's DVR Diagnostics screen it says:

Tuning Adaper: Not available

Last Status: Initializing

Channel List Received: Yes

If I pull the USB connection the Last Status changes to Not Connected, so the Tivo knows the adapter is there.

So, I’m trying to figure out if the problem is the card, or tuning adapter, or both.  Bryaninphx mentinoned in another thread that the ARRIS branded cards have had problems with Tivo in Hampton Roads.  Some idea of what channels I should be able to get with just the cablecard (i.e. without the tuning adapter) would really help diagnose this problem.  Insight into why the tuning adapter will not initialize would be great as well.  Any help is appreciated!

Thanks,

Dean

27 Replies

Replies have been turned off for this discussion