Forum Discussion

Tesseract257
New Contributor
9 years ago

DVRs w/Cable Card Compatibility what do you recommend?

I am wanting to purchase two DVRs that are Cable Card compatible on the Cox Network.   I do not want to pay monthly fees either to  COX or a company like TIVO for DVR service.

I am approaching this with an open mind and  would like any advice this forum will have as far as various DVR options and their respective pros and cons. 

7 Replies

Replies have been turned off for this discussion
    bryaninphx
    Valued Contributor

TiVo is the only Stand-alone Retail CableCARD DVR that is still supported.

1. TiVo DVR (standalone device) Multi-Room option with the TiVo Mini - Includes Cox OnDemand support

TiVos new pricing includes the 1st year of service, and is $150/year after the first year

1. TiVo Bolt 4-Tuner (500GB or 1TB)
    2. TiVo Roamio Pro 6-Tuner 3TB

Your other option is a PC based CableCARD tuner

1. SiliconDust HD HomeRun Prime (Windows 7 or 8.1 Pro PC required for use with this device for Copy protected channels)
    2. Ceton InfiniTV (Windows 7 or 8.1 Pro PC required for use with this device for Copy protected channels)
    3. Hauppauge WinTV-DCR-2650 (Windows 7 or 8.1 Pro PC required for use with this device for Copy protected channels)

You should also keep your eye on the HDHomeRun DVR Software it is still in testing, and currently does not support Copy protected channels.

• I was looking into the Motorola DCX3400 HD / DVR Set Top Cable Box which the specs indicate is cable card ready, will this

DVR be unable to operate on the new all digital network?

Domino
    Valued Contributor III

Tesseract257 said:

I was looking into the Motorola DCX3400 HD / DVR Set Top Cable Box which the specs indicate is cable card ready, will this

DVR be unable to operate on the new all digital network?

A) You can't purchase that DVR for use on a Cox system. B) Motorola DVRs work on only some Cox systems.

wees41
    Contributor II

You can't purchase the Motorola boxes no one sells them nor will Cox authorize it for the network.

Domino
    Valued Contributor III

wees41 said:

You can purchase the Motorola boxes....

Where?

bryaninphx
    Valued Contributor

You could buy a used / refurbished Motorola DCX3400 HD/DVR on eBay and there are other sellers, on the internet, but it would be a doorstop.

The problem is they were never intended to be sold at retail, to an end user, and Cox would not Authorize the box for use.  The software and guide the box runs on is proprietary to the Cable Co, and Cox has to pay a licensing fee for each DVR/STB.

There are websites claiming 100% Guaranteed money back success, if your are up for the challenge, let us know how it goes.