Forum Discussion

slp2
New Contributor
9 years ago

Contour 9865HDC IR repeater

Ok I saw several threads on this but no one really had an answer to what should be a VERY common set up - using an IR extender/repeater. Prior to having the Contour box put in, my IR extender worked flawlessly on all components including the old Motorola box. Cox Tech installed the new box and placed my old IR sensor on the left side of the box. Appeared to work fine - until he left and I closed the cabinet door - and it did not work. So he must have thought it was working, but with the door open, the remote was transmitting directly to the box. Since first tech could not finish the install, two days later we had another tech out, so I asked him about the remote sensor. He relocated the IR sensor to the right hand side of the box. Did not work there either. He left with it unresolved. After doing my own research, which I should not have to do, I learned to shine a flash light on the box to find the IR eyes. Still would not work. I also learned it seems the issue may be that some IR repeaters are dual band. I don't know if my current IR repeater is dual band, it is several years old, but it works fine on all other components. A dual band IR repeater is only like $25, but before I waste money - does anyone know what the frequency is on the 9865HDC. Tech on phone did not know. Kind of taking the fun out of the whole house DVR if I cant have the nice clean hidden box set up that I have for so many years.