Forum Discussion

salrodz
New Contributor
9 years ago

Tivo Series 2 Connection

Hello,

I have a TiVo Series 2 DVR and am trying to connect it to a Cox minibox (Evolution DMS2344UHDS) DTA. I am attempting to use the TiVo IR cable for channel changing on the DTA. This does not work. I've contacted Cox multiple times and get varying degrees of (mis)information and have contacted TiVo support. I won't detail all the missteps, but will provide relevant information.

TiVo support tells me the preferred set up is to use the Remote Control Signal Receiver cable provided with the digital adapter (by my service provider). However, Cox did not provide a cable. After speaking with Cox support and am told they do not know if they have a remote control signal receiver cable, but I could check at a store. I try calling a "nearby" store and can only speak with a live person if I know who I'm trying to call (that is, either by name or phone extension, otherwise I am dumped back into the general Cox tech support pool). TivO support also suggests using the Evolution DMS-1004 DTA and informed me it "should be within your providers inventory and those have worked with Series2 boxes on code 10084." I spoke again with Cox support who tell me this is not in the inventory.

So, Cox Forum moderator, please tell me how to deal with this. My TiVo is old, but still functional (like me) and I see no reason to upgrade when I have a lifetime subscription.

Thank you in advance...

4 Replies

Replies have been turned off for this discussion
  • Hi Salrodz,

Because TiVo Series2 products are designed for analog television and do not use CableCARDs, TiVo Series2 products are the only TiVos that require a Cox mini box.

Aside from the standard hardware included in the mini box installation kit, the only other hardware available for the mini box are the RF adapter and remote. The RF adapter connects to the IR IN port on the back of the mini box and pairs with an RF remote control. If an RF adapter is the same thing as a Remote Control Signal Receiver cable, we can make arrangements to get an RF adapter and remote to you.

Some TiVo DVR owners have reported success using a TiVo IR Blaster Direct Connect Adapter Cable and an IR emitter. TiVo IR Blasters and emitters are used to send signals from the TiVo DVR to the mini box. These signals should allow the DVR to change channels on the mini box. Connect the IR cable to the IR port on the back of your TiVo, and position one of the “blaster” ends over the IR sensor on the mini box.

After you set up the mini box, did you repeat TiVo Guided Setup? To repeat Guided Setup, go to TiVo Central and then Messages & Settings > Restart or Reset System > Repeat Guided Setup. During Guided Setup, be sure to choose "Cable with Box" as your signal source. (You will also need to repeat Guided Setup after you set up an IR Blaster.)

You may want to check out TiVo's library of online support articles as well as the TiVo Community Forums. The folks in the TiVo Forums are incredibly helpful!

salrodz
    New Contributor

Hi Becky,

Thank you for your response. Yes, I have rerun setup multiple times. The RH adapter for the minibox sounds like it might be the cable TiVo suggest I get. How can I get one of these? Do I need a new remote as well?

Thanks again...

• Hi Salrodz,

Your nearest Cox Solutions Store should have RF adapters and RF remotes available. When you head out to the Solutions Store, take along the remote that came with the mini box. That way, you can return it/exchange it when you pick up the RF adapter & remote. (The two remotes are not interchangeable.) Please let us know if you are successful!
    Disnut
    New Contributor

You're not alone, salrodz.  I'm going through the same thing.  I've successfully set this up for my mother using the supplied 'IR Blaster' when she switched from Cable to Satellite, so I know how it is supposed to work (sadly since then she switched to AT&T Uverse and now has a different problem blocking her TIVo use: the sleep mode on the box).  It sure seems like we're just not using the right IR code.  I contacted Evolution, but they said that information would have to come from Cox, because of their software (implying that it can be changed through firmware).  Sure hope someone figures this out because I sure like Cox, but if someone else lets me keep my Series 2 TiVos running that might be too good to pass up.  By the way, I think the switch to RF would be a red herring.  How is that supposed to help the communication between TiVo and mini box when the TiVo has no way to provide an RF control signal?