Forum Discussion

sugarcube04
New Contributor
9 years ago

KPLC

I would like to receive information on the subject of KPLC no longer being shown on COX cable in Lafayette. What is the reason for this? Can't both of you settle this? I currently reside in Lafayette, but I have no connection to this town. I still live in Lake Charles from Friday to Sunday. I still consider Lake Charles home & want to watch my home town news.

1 Reply

Replies have been turned off for this discussion
  • Hi sugarcube04,

Cox is discontinuing carriage of KPLC-NBC in Lake Charles due to the channel changes our Acadiana customers are seeing. This is a direct result of the launch of KLAF (NBC) as the Primary Network (NBC) affiliate in the Lafayette market.  KLAF has asserted “Network Non-Duplication” rights that prohibit Cox from carrying NBC programming from any other broadcast outlet in the area. 

Under FCC Rules, a broadcast television station may enter into agreements with the network with which it is affiliated to have exclusive cable distribution rights for that network’s programs within a defined geographic zone.

A station seeking to enforce these exclusivity rights on a particular cable system must provide a specific notice to the cable operator referred to as a “Network Nonduplication Protection” request or notice and, if valid, the cable  operator must  black out the network programming on any other station affiliated with the same network that the cable system carries.