Forum Discussion

Air1
New Contributor
9 years ago

Channel Switching

When watching the Fox Business Channel I will get the message to press a certain key on my remote or be disconnected from the channel.  I absolutely hate this.  I'm forced to buy all these worthless channels just to get a few that I watch and then get disconnected for my trouble.  I'm frequently in another room and listening to the TV and do not see the announcement and am cut off.

I know this is something to do with Cox's channel switching technology to free up bandwidth.   Instead, just get rid of some of the worthless channels and do the same thing and leave me alone.

Ronald Crews

4 Replies

Replies have been turned off for this discussion
  • Hi Ronald,

You are correct; this is a result of Switched Digital Video (SDV) technology. I'm sorry that this issue has caused so much frustration! Most cable TV providers utilize SDV technology. In a standard TV broadcast, the signal is continuous whether anyone is tuned to that channel or not. This takes up a lot of bandwidth. Switched Digital Video provides the signal to you only when you tune to the channel. If a TV/cable box is left on an SDV channel for longer than 4 hours and has not received any commands from the remote control during that time, you may get a message on screen that asks you to press Select to continue watching the channel. This conserves bandwidth just as my Energy Star DVD player conserves power by turning itself off when not in use.
    Domino
    Valued Contributor III

Air1: "When watching the Fox Business Channel I will get the message to press a certain key on my remote or be disconnected from the channel.  I absolutely hate this.  I'm forced to buy all these worthless channels just to get a few that I watch and then get disconnected for my trouble.  I'm frequently in another room and listening to the TV and do not see the announcement and am cut off. I know this is something to do with Cox's channel switching technology to free up bandwidth.   Instead, just get rid of some of the worthless channels and do the same thing and leave me alone."

But, Air1, many believe that FBC in itself is worthless.

Domino
    Valued Contributor III

Becky said:
    Hi Ronald,

You are correct; this is a result of Switched Digital Video (SDV) technology. I'm sorry that this issue has caused so much frustration! Most cable TV providers utilize SDV technology. In a standard TV broadcast, the signal is continuous whether anyone is tuned to that channel or not. This takes up a lot of bandwidth. Switched Digital Video provides the signal to you only when you tune to the channel. If a TV/cable box is left on an SDV channel for longer than 4 hours and has not received any commands from the remote control during that time, you may get a message on screen that asks you to press Select to continue watching the channel. This conserves bandwidth just as my Energy Star DVD player conserves power by turning itself off when not in use.

Hey Becky,

Once the transition to digital is complete, will the number of SDV channels be re-evaluated?

• That's a very good question, Domino. My guess is yes, but we haven't heard anything official. The focus at this time is on completing the Go All Digital transition. I'll keep my ears open and let you know if I hear anything!