Forum Discussion

texokwoodcarver
New Contributor
10 years ago

If you have Medical Alert Don't get Cox Digital Telephone

It is dependent upon their internet servers, and when they are down for maintenance, the phones are down too, Friday night they took down their servers for "scheduled" maintenance, and I was without phone and internet Until afternoon on Sunday.

When I called them on my limited pre-paid cell phone, to get some kind of update, I was told they are only obligated to tell that to Business customers, not residential ones. Even though I have lifeline service from them, with my medical alert system attached to it; They refused to give me any updates so the I could make any intelligent plans on what to do.

I have been a cox customer for over 25 years, and this experience has been a big slap in the face to me, and others who like me are dependent on a working land line for medical emergencies.

I will be filing a complaint under the American with Disabilities Act. Because if they can warn Business Customers, and update them on planed outages, Then it is a reasonable accommodation, under the ADA to do the same for their Disabled Lifeline customers, who need a working phone, for life alert &/or 911 access for medical emergencies.

2 Replies

Replies have been turned off for this discussion
    Bruce
    Honored Contributor III

Your life literally depends on Internet service?  Why would you depend on a system with so many vulnerabilities, such as scheduled outages, unscheduled outages, power outages, viruses, modems, cable splitters.  You need to subscribe to an analog service (Plain Old Telephone Service [POTS]), such as CenturyLink.  I don't endorse CenturyLink but only searched for analog telephone providers.  Analog service is always on even during power outages...of course, you'll need a corded telephone.

I don't know anything about Life Alert, but what do they recommend for emergency communications?

Cox Lifeline Telephone Service is a discount telephone program...not a medical alert system.

wees41
    Contributor II

good luck with that what about a regular telephone line they go out nothings full proof  have tou check on the ones you can use witha cell phone?