Forum Discussion

deanchat
Contributor
3 years ago

Tel2 provides a dial tone but Tel1 does not.

I received an email that states that starting on 12/1/21  phones connected to the Tel2 connector of the modem will not be able to complete calls and that I should check my phone modem and move the phone connection to Te1 if it is currently connected to Tel2.  My phone is connected to Tel2 and when I move it to Tel1 I do not get a dial tone.  Is there a reset procedure that I am supposed to perform after switching the connection?  I have an Arris TM-3402A which is only used for phone (I have another modem that is used for internet).

Thanks,
Dean

4 Replies

Bruce
    Honored Contributor III

You can either reboot the 3402A by pulling its power cord for a few seconds, or you could log into your Cox account and reset the 3402A.

I don't mean a Factory Reset...if this is possible on a telephone modem...by pushing its recessed button somewhere on the modem but instead a network reset from your Cox account.

Try that and if it doesn't work, update us.

deanchat
      Contributor

Okay, I switched to Tel1 and did the power reset (power down for a few minutes then plug it back in).  No dial tone on Tel1, but Tel2 is working.  Then I tried the 'network" reset (via the Cox website) and again Tel1 does not work but Tel2 works just fine.  Any ideas where to go from here?

Bruce
        Honored Contributor III

To tell the truth, I thought only 1 Tel port was operational on residential telephone modems and the 1 operational port was Tel1.  I guess not.

There is only so much you can do without swapping it.  I guess the only thing left is a Factory Reset.  Unplug all telephones from the modem, stick something in the recessed hole and hold for 15 seconds.