Forum Discussion

I-am-no-expert
New Contributor
3 years ago

If I replace DPQ3212 with Arris Surfboard 8200 without phone jack

I want to replace my existing modem DPQ3212 with a Docsis 3.1 modem, for instance an Arris Surfboard 8200. However, since the 8200 does not have any phone jacks, I do not know what to do to retain Cox's voice service. I cannot get a clear answer from Cox - it seems I must buy or rent one of the "Cox-provided" modems, e.g., Arris TM3402. Is there any feasible option where I have my own Internet modem yet retain the Cox voice service? Thanks.

7 Replies

JamesMartinez
      New Contributor

Hi, Bruce. Which department should I talk to at Cox to get this free loaner TM3402? I called up Voice Support and she said I have to buy a cable modem with a phone jack. Thanks.

Bruce
        Honored Contributor III

Do you have a Cox Solution Store near you?

You want the free loaner so walk out with a free loaner.  Know what I mean?

www.cox.com/.../search

Bruce
    Honored Contributor III

Is there anything wrong with your Internet and Voice service now?  If you have good service, I wouldn't change anything.  In fact, a few subscribers have posted about worst service after upgrading to a D3.1.

If it ain't broke...

I-am-no-expert
      New Contributor

Thanks a lot for your replies. After years of generally reliable service, I experienced Internet outage every 3-4 days for the past month. I figured maybe my 9-year modem needed replacement, The service is decent when it works, which is for most of the time. 

Bruce
        Honored Contributor III

Your outages could be anything:  Cox, modem or router.

The next time it occurs, try connecting a device directly to the modem for any connectivity.  If no connection, you could email (recommended) to check your circuit.