Forum Discussion

vineyards702
New Contributor
4 years ago

phone not working with panoramic fiber modem

first, let's get some of the obvious questions out of the way. i am an advanced human and I have exhausted all other help options. needless to say; yes, I have turned it off and on, yes, I am plugged into tel 1, yes, i have ordered and activated a phone service from cox. if you care to offer an answer, assume i have already addressed the obvious issues. including 3 technicians all of which have had different ideas and no solutions. one thing to consider is I am in a brand-new home in a brand-new community I Enterprise Las Vegas NV. all wiring inside the home is complete, advanced, proper and perfect. I have a data cabinet

I have gigablast internet and 100% digital home phone service using the Panoramic Wifi Gateway + Fiber Internet Modem which needs the ALU G010GA INDOOR ONT 1GE W_AC ADPTR V2. to work. Why? because COX does not have actual fiber optic modems, so they bring fiber into the home and then convert it back to broadband by attaching the converter via ethernet cable to the ethernet port on the back of the Panoramic Wifi Gateway + Fiber Internet Modem.

so, i should be able to plug my standard corded home phone into the back of the Panoramic Wifi Gateway + Fiber Internet Modem and get a dial tone to make a call (all anomalies aside, yes there is power, yes, the internet is working, yes, i paid my bill. yes, I had a technician come out then leave as they said they didn't know what the problem was)

anyone else stumped?

7 Replies

Replies have been turned off for this discussion
    Bruce
    Honored Contributor III

What's the make and model of this "Panoramic Wifi Gateway + Fiber Internet Modem?"

All you need is an ONT, a router and for landline service...a telephone modem (eMTA).

FYI:  "Digital telephone" is an outdated term.  Although its voice data was digital, digital-telephone service used circuit-switching technology.  The new technology also has digital voice-data but it uses packet-switching technology and is called VoIP.  Cox markets its VoIP service as Cox Voice.

Also, this conversion process is required.  Cox delivers data to your house as light signals.  This converter (ONT) then converts the light signals into electrical signals for your equipment because your wired equipment...router, eMTA, cable-box, computers...doesn't have a fiber-optic NIC.

Bruce
    Honored Contributor III

I don't know if Cox still requires this, but they used to mandate a "3rd-party verification process" when transitioning from Cox Digital Telephone to Cox Voice.  The 3rd-party, Calibrus, is supposed to inform you about changes Cox made to your service on the new platform.  It's absolutely hokey but I couldn't get Cox Voice service until I called Calibrus.

What you could do is send an email to cox.help@cox.com and ask if this process is still required.  Include the following in the email:
     - URL of This Post
     - Full Name
     - Complete Address

...or you can ask on Twitter or Facebook
     - facebook.com/coxcommunications
     - twitter.com/CoxHelp

When I converted my landline service, I remember needing 3 things:
     - The eMTA
     - A Tech to Rewire My Demarcation Point
     - The 3rd-Party Verification Process

bearone2
    Contributor III

hey guy who knows everything, you don't have a panoramic fiber modem!!

why mislead with your bogus topic.

Bruce
      Honored Contributor III

Telephone not working isn't bogus.

bearone2
        Contributor III

modem description is, why cry wolf to draw attention on a legit forum, just say phone doesn't work, help!