Forum Discussion

Horserider1st
New Contributor
5 years ago

Can not get inbound phone calls. When ever someone tries to call me. They get your call not be completed at this time. Even though I can make outgoing calls.

Could I have some how accidentally blocked all incoming calls? Since like I said before that when someone tries to call me. They get your call not be completed at this time message. Even though I can make outbound calls.

21 Replies

Bruce
    Honored Contributor III

Have you upgraded your telephone modem since Cox transitioned to VoIP?

Horserider1st
      New Contributor

So I got to go and get a new modem again? I just got a new one back in Jan of 2019. So no one can call me right now till I do. But I can call others.

ekhawaii
        Contributor

The phone modem could be a different one than the Internet Modem.  In my house, I have a separate modem inside the box that all the COX wires come to before they are sent out thru the house and to the phone jacks.  There also are coaxial cables sent out to some of the rooms to which I connect my TV/DVR or one to my internet/wireless modem.  I'm not sure how your modem connects to your phone, unless it is wireless or you are using strictly cell phone connections.   If you are having problem using a landline, and you do not see a phone jack connection from the modem u had in 2019, maybe there is another phone only modem stuck in the closet that is bad or needs re-boot by pulling power cord.  Just wondering.....

• Interesting Horserider...I tried suggesting the phone modem as an possible issue....you never said if you are using  a landline or cell phone.  I have used the 7 digit number in my area code here in SoCal.  I think if the an area code you are calling is required,  you get notified when you dial...also a 1 must precede if it is a totally different area code. But in your case, when others call they don't connect?  What happens, do they get a busy or a message?  Try calling yourself from a cell or another line to see how it bounces.

Bruce
      Honored Contributor III

I don't think anything changed for Horse.  I think the technology had changed for whomever was calling Horse.  Their provider now requires 10-digit dialing.

i remember only having to dial 4 digits on a rotary phone.  My Great Grandparents still had a Party Line in the mid-80's.  Now look how far we've fallen.

CurtB
        Valued Contributor III

When my parents first got a telephone, I called my grandparents by picking up the receiver and when the nice lady said "Number please", I told her 42.

Horserider1st
      New Contributor

I use both actually. That is how I found out that someone has to use the area code plus my number. I called my landline which is Cox. Got the call can not completed at this time. Hung up and then tried again with the area code and the phone rang.

• Another thing Horserider....login to the PC/cell 'Voice tools' and check you 'Call History'...check the incoming calls, maybe they are going to Cox Voice mail or something may pop up.  Again, you don't say what the failure indicators are.  I kinda agree with the CurtB and Bruce, probably something changed on the caller end.  Now, rotary phone calls to a switchboard...that is long ago..Ha!

The 'Call History' may shed some additional info.  There has been some discussions on this item in this Forum.

Ehuffy23
    New Contributor

I am experiencing the same issue. Been through multiple techs and tech support throughout the last week. Moved to new house but have the same number and previous address. Can call out but can't receive calls in. Frustrating! 

ColleenD
      Ehuffy,

I can only imagine how annoying this has been. Let me take a look at it for you. Please email cox.help@cox.com with your full name, complete street address, and details of the problem. If you think of it, you can include a link to this thread.

-ColleenD, Cox Support Forums Moderator
      ekhawaii
      Contributor

Ehuffy23....check my comments above about the Voice Tools/Call History on your PC or apps on cell and IPAD...the latter 2 platforms have had issues about the CallerID....discussed in the forum.  Maybe you will see the incoming calls going to Voice Mail.  Maybe you will not see anything, meaning the call is blocked at an earlier stage.