Forum Discussion

dward5665
Contributor
9 years ago

Porting my number

I will be cancelling my phone service from Cox and porting my number over to Magic Jack.  Should I wait till the porting is complete to cancel with Cox, or is that part of the porting process?

8 Replies

Replies have been turned off for this discussion
  • Hi dhw1949,

I'm sorry to hear you're porting your number from Cox. You would want to keep your number active, so the number can port to Magic Jack.

Tecknowhelp
    Valued Contributor II

40 years phone experience and your using magic jack? Why not build your own PBX? 

Magic Jack TOS = All your data does belong to us.

• $42 a month versus $3 a month, plus I have cell phones if it goes bad.

Tecknowhelp
    Valued Contributor II

Google Voice is free, you can use your own hardware, and doesn't have the privacy issues like Magic Jack. I would rather someone not sell my phone number to telemarketers for profit. To each their own though.

• That's why I've gotten a call blocking phone and will get a call blocker also.  Times are tough, and being on a fixed income calls for cutting costs where possible.  I greatly respect your knowledge and expertise Tecknowhelp, I've learned from your posts.

Tecknowhelp
    Valued Contributor II

dhw1949 said:
    That's why I've gotten a call blocking phone and will get a call blocker also.  

So you spend money on a feature and hardware and then pay for service that does the exact opposite of what your trying to accomplish? Your paying them to avoid telemarketers, but then allowing them to make money by selling your number to telemarketers. It's a Win/Win for them. Also, even if you later decide to port your number, you would still had sold your number and outbound calls (yes they track and sell that too) to telemarketers. I am all for saving money and not using Cox phone service, I just think there are much better options IMO. I try to avoid anything from the "As seen on TV" isle. Check out Google Voice and Ooma. 

• Too late now, it is what it is.  I'll let you know how it works out, I'm keeping Cox internet so I assume I'll still have access here.

• Finished porting about a week ago, the only thing I miss is call history, but for the monetary savings I can live with it!