Forum Discussion

Bruce
Honored Contributor III
9 years ago

Did Cox Call Me?

I received a call from (703) 539-8978 with caller ID COX COMMUNICATI.

Is this number assigned to Cox or is it a cretin spoofing for a scam?

9 Replies

Replies have been turned off for this discussion
    Health_Edge
    Valued Contributor III

Can't say for sure. I called from a anom number and it rang to no answer, so it isn't a call center, I can say that much. Looks like registered to VA and has valid caller ID info "Cox Comm". Do you live in VA? If so, my guess would be it was a technician.

Bruce
    Honored Contributor III

Called again today.  Unless Diane Zimmerman of Fairfax Virginia works for Cox, I'd suspect someone is spoofing her number to scam me.

yak
    Contributor III

I checked at 800notes.com  which is a telephone spam fighting website. ( i don't work for them or promote them in any way).   If the phone number is a spammer, it will show up there.  There were no complaints.

I did a Google search. I did not give a definitive answer.  2 less-than-trustworthy sites list a woman Anna or a man Jared as the owners of that number.

My favorite call had the Caller ID as my own number.  That made me look twice.

If it said Cox Communications, i think i would answer it.  Just once to see. But only if i lived in the 703 area code. 

The spammers can "spoof" any number.  I read an article about a dentist whose work number was spoofed to sell security systems (at least that is what the spammer said).  The dentist got hundreds of calls from people screaming at him to stop calling them.  His receptionist tried to explain but the callers were so mad they didn't listen.... just slammed down the phone.

Bruce
    Honored Contributor III

A Google search would reveal any complaint on 800notes or MrNumber.  All I found was lists of numbers and reverse lookups.  Neither is productive.

Cox wouldn't call me unless I have an open trouble ticket.  I don't.  However, if Cox is now pushing their gimcrackery via phone calls, well, I'm better off not answering it.

I thought a moderator could clarify.

StephanieA
    Former Moderator
    Hi Bruce,

That number is one of ours. As far as why we called, I would have to pull the account to see if there are any notes. If you want me to take a look, please email me at cox.help@cox.com.

Bruce
    Honored Contributor III

When you said "one of ours," do you mean a phone number used by Cox to call its customers...or a phone number Cox assigns to one of its customers?  I'm sure it's a Cox number...but who is it assigned to?

Diane Zimmerman of Fairfax Virginia either works for Cox...or is a Cox subscriber.

Bruce
    Honored Contributor III

My privy email with Cox revealed a sales call.  Somebody wants to sell me something.

Historically, this has been a residential telephone number.  Now it's assigned to their Sales Dept?  Or did Cox give an unassigned, throwaway number to a third-party telemarketer?

Cox requested I be removed from their call lists, but I have to wait three days for the calls to stop.

• Bruce, there are several numbers assigned to Cox Communications. Besides toll free numbers, there are local numbers and it appears that you were contacted by a local office in VA.