Forum Discussion

hpu1966
New Contributor II
10 years ago

Windows Live Mail

Hello.  I use Windows Live Mail with my Windows 7 OS, both on my desktop and my laptop.  The desktop shows no problem, but the laptop recently quit 'sending' e-mails, just stores them in the outbox...it had worked properly for a long time, and no changes to any settings were made prior to it showing the problem.  I've checked the server settings and all are as they should be.  Anyone have a suggestion?  I can always use Cox Webmail or even one of the online providers such as Yahoo, so it's not a matter of desperation, but I'd prefer using Windows Live for both incoming and outgoing.  Thanks for any help!

7 Replies

Replies have been turned off for this discussion
    SoonerAl
    Contributor II

Any error message?

if not turn on logging and see if anything of interest is logged...

http://email.about.com/od/outlookexpresstroubles/qt/Log-Pop-And-Imap-Traffic-To-Troubleshoot-Windows-Live-Mail-Windows-Mail-Oe.htm

http://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windowslive/forum/livemail-program/how-can-i-collect-log-files-from-windows-live-mail/1b65e7a3-58ad-4d31-9d9e-8bfe6a232f8b

DerrickW
    Valued Contributor
    hpu1966,

What happens if you manually try to send and receive email?  Does Windows Live Mail give you any type of error?  There should be some indicator of where the issue lies with the email program.  If you can provide an error that would help pinpoint the problem.  
    hpu1966
    New Contributor II

Just as mysteriously as the problem started, it has now disappeared.  Go figure!  Still, an e-mail that stuck in the outbox (I previously deleted all but this one) from yesterday's attempts was still there this morning, but when I tried sending it, I got the response "The contents of this e-mail cannot be found."

I was getting an error message but didn't record what it said...should the problem recur I'll come back to this thread and lay it out.  Thanks for your assistance, both of you.

CWJ
    New Contributor
    I also can receive mail but not send mail using Windows Live 2012 on new laptop. I put the outgoing to: smtp.cox.net but the error message says: The host 'smtp,cox.net' could not be found. Please verify that you have entered the server name correctly. Subject 'test' Server: 'smtp,cox.net' Windows Live Mail Error ID: 0x800CCC0D Protocol: SMTP Port: 465 Secure(SSL): Yes Socket Error: 11001 Any ideas? This can be frustrating to say the least! Thanks! CWJ
    ChrisL
    Former Moderator
    @CWJ

That error message you posted appears to show a comma in 'smtp,cox.net'.  Try editing your account settings and change the outgoing mail server to smtp.cox.net and see if that clears it up.

CWJ
    New Contributor
    Chris, Sharp eye! That fixed it! Thanks! CWJ