Forum Discussion

Jim_W
New Contributor
12 years ago

Don't ignore free equipment upgrade notice

I live in Fairfax County Virginia. Got an email on Nov 8th from Cox subject "Important Notice! Equipment Upgrade Offer From Cox Communications."   Upgrade was for Cox High Speed Internet & Digital Telephone modem.  Called the number and the rep said that they were upgrading customers with old equipment and the new modem would improve upload and download speeds.  The modem arrived today and I followed the instructions but could not get a dial tone or Internet connection with the new modem.   After about 10-15 minutes on the line with Cox customer support, on a cell phone, the rep realized that the modem's serial number had never been entered into their system.   He said that it should have been done before the modem was shipped.  

I ran some tests on speedtest.net.   The chart of download speed showed about 3 Mbps faster than before but it was within a 2-3  Mbps range for the whole test.  No evidence of Power-Boost in chart.   Upload speed was just a little faster but varied across several tests during this evening.   Download speed showed little variation from the max speed on all tests.

In addition to the email, I have been seeing the upgrade notice over the bottom right corner of the first web page that I visited each morning.  If you get the notice I suggest that you upgrade.  Before you disconnect your old modem, call Cox support and have the rep verify that the new modem's serial number and MAC addresses are in the Cox system.

2 Replies

Replies have been turned off for this discussion
    Jim_W
    New Contributor

Update:   Had only tested my desktop computer when I posted the above.   This morning my wife booted her Dell Inspiron 1720 laptop (upgraded a year+ ago with an Intel SSD and this weekend with the $40 Win 8 Pro x64 upgrade).   The Win 8 upgrade improved both her upload and download speeds.

This morning she could not believe her wireless speed improvement from the modem upgrade.  Her download speed (as tested with speedtest.net) has improved by about 15 Mbps and upload by about 2 Mbps.  Her wireless download speed is now less than 1 Mbps compared to my wired connection and her upload speed is only a couple of Mbps less.

I have a second desktop computer that I upgraded to Win 8 Pro x64 from Win XP Pro x32.  Saw about 2 Mbps improvement in both upload and download speeds with Win 8.   After less than a week had to RMA its memory.  When I receive the new memory will post comparison between my XP Pro x32 and Win 8 Pro x64 Internet speeds after modem upgrade.

P.S.  If you are not upgrading to Win 8 because it lacks a start button, check out Classic Shell  http://classicshell.sourceforge.net/  , a free download that adds a start button and menus to Win 8.  It works great. 

The $40 upgrade price to Win 8 Pro expires 1/31/2013 http://www.microsoftstore.com/store/msstore/html/pbpage.Windows_8_Pro?WT.mc_id=MSCOM_HP_nav_BuyWSoftware .   Went to local MicroCenter to buy Win 8 Pro upgrade DVD.   Have to ask for the upgrade.   They are keeping them in the back of the store and I overheard the staff trying to sell a $200 Win 7 to a customer.  After the sales rep  handed me the Win 8 Pro upgrade box, I asked him if they would put the upgrade out after the price goes up $100-$150 on 2/1/2013.   He just smirked.

• It's happening now in R.I. and we have to have 2 modems, one for phone and one for pc since they use the new modem as a router for faster speeds, WRONG nothing is fast , just more boxes and headaches to confirure the new set-up