Forum Discussion

tekjunkie28
New Contributor
10 years ago

Slow speeds at night Roanoke Va

I am in Roanoke Va. Sometime back in September or early Oct they upgraded the speeds here. I went from about 65Mbps to 120 to 130. Those were perfect speeds. Then around the beginning of Nov something happened and my speeds have been ** ever since.

(this may or may not have anything to do with it but around the same time a tree came down on some power lines and my cable when out and the power stayed on. Apparently it was a few streets over and the distribution box lost power. seems odd this started 'around' the same time. just an idea though.)

I first noticed this when I was playing some games online. I normally have a ping of 42 this time is was 80 then a few minutes later it was 300 then 900. After that my cable disconnected completely and wouldn't come back on. Called tech support which said that my modem (SB6121) wouldn't provision correctly. Eventually it did provision and my speeds were awful, 20 to 40Mbps. She setup for a tech to come out, even though all my signals were fine. Through this whole ordeal my signals have been fine. Downstream power levels 0.2 to 1.6dBmV and 39.7 to 40.9 SNR, 45SNR upstream. After the tech comes out he checks everything. Found a cable box wasn't initiated and fixed that. Checks the pole and even tested a different modem and port on the tap on the pole. Nothing fixed it. Had a actual Cox tech come out and he couldn't find anything. Said he would tell his supervisor and get back with me. He never did call me back and calls to him were never returned. I waited about a week or 2 to see if they would be able to fix the issue and they weren't. So I called back and talked to tier 2 tech support. She was much more knowledgeable and said that my modem was having power fluctuations and we switched out my SB 6121 for the cisco DPQ3212 that I got because I had to get cox phone service. After that she said that signals on here end looked a lot better. I felt better about the switch and speeds seem slightly improved. That only lasted about a week and the same things started to happen. Since then Ive had two more techs come out. Last tech said he was brought in from Norfolk and Cox was having tap issues throughout the whole area. He never even looked at or tested anything in the house. So I figured that was the problem and waited some more. Nothing has changed. Last night was the worst its ever been. My speeds were 1.5Mbps. Upload has never been an issue. Those speeds were like that up unit around 2am. This morning they are 130Mbps. Last night I troubleshooted my wiring just to rule out my router and my Ethernet cables. I even used a separate PC and still confirmed that the issue is with Cox. I called them and was nice enough to get a discount on my bill and get a tech to come out today. I highly doubt they will even look any further then the pole out back. Also when this is happening the phone service takes 10 minutes or so to connect but all signals look good as posted earlier. All wiring in the house is brand new as of May 2014.

I must be on a overloaded node or my line is unbalanced. I don't know what to do after today other then to just keep calling. Cox guarantees 90 Mbps for my plan. I'm not getting that so I guess Ill keep calling every week and getting a discount on my monthly bill until this is fixed. I had a similar problem with Comcast a few years back and my signals were bad throughout the day with the heating and cooling of the line. They replaced my drop and never had another issue.

I never had this issue when my speeds were 65Mbps on cox. Cable modem is on one splitter that is in the box outside. I can post attachments if needed, the pics are on my phone. What should I tell the tech when he gets here? Anything?

4 Replies

Replies have been turned off for this discussion
  • listen i'v gone through this issue many times you're going to get the ** from cox over and over again.. trust me i went through this for almost a year. "IS YOUR modem hard wired or wireless?" heh here's what you do... find the corporate number and complain that's the only way you're going to get anywhere otherwise they're going to send tech supports out over and over again and they won't do anything but the standard troubleshooting the sub-contractor that doesn't even work for cox "finds a problem" (not really) and nothing changes.. the problem is the fiber optics and they are going to have to get a permit and dig up your streets.. This is a huge problem with cox and they are aware of it but they are going to beat around the bush for as long as they can until enough people complain and they are forced to fix it OR someone that's having a problem on your node goes to corporate and gets something done.. If you expect a sub-contractor to come out and fix this problem you're very very wrong and will be waiting a very long time. That's my advise after having dealt with this issue for over a year in my area and finally getting it fixed about a month ago and it was a very long learning process.. also i recommend using pingtest.net really nice website that's owned by the speedtest.net people that detects packet loss which won't show up directly on a speedtest.

Health_Edge
    Valued Contributor III

@Stefen You probably weren't helped because you didn't answer any technical questions. When asked what kind of router you have, you answered wrongly with your modem model number. You also used foul language. First rule to solve a technical problem, leave the emotions at the door. Even if you have every right to be pissed, it doesn't help the process. And just because you had a problem, doesn't mean OP is having same problem. 

@Tekjunkie28 I notice you posted a similar post on DSLReports. I will reply over there since your more likly to get the attention on a Cox engineer. 

• So no one with cox is gonna chime in and fix this?   How far to we have to go to get something like this resolved?  My modem is hardwired. Makes no difference if I use a router or not. My equipment isn't cheap and I KNOW it's NOT on my side. I've changed everything out even the ethernet cables.

StephanieA
    Former Moderator
    tekjunkie28,

When you test hard wired are you bypassing the router and power cycling the modem? We will need to see what speeds you are getting straight to the modem. If not, please bypass the router, power cycle your modem and let me know what speeds you get.