Forum Discussion

OldnAchy
New Contributor
12 years ago
Solved

McAfee Not Compatible with Windows 8

Just ran Windows 8 upgrade assistant and got message that McAfee Security Suite is not compatible with Windows 8.  Went to McAfee site and only info there is that Release 11.x and older not compatible but there is a beta version being used with beta Windows 8.  Well WIndows 8 hit the streets today.  Question: When will Cox (McAfee) Security Suite have a compatible version and how do we go about getting it when we go to Windows 8?

10 Replies

Replies have been turned off for this discussion
    AZSig
    New Contributor

Agree.  I just did the same thing and now am being forced to uninstall McAfee before completing the Windows 8 upgrade.  Please let us know when an update will be available for our computers.

sammyboy
    New Contributor

Same here.  I have to manually uninstall mcafee before windows 8 could install.  I went back to cox to download it again,  To no avail I can download it now.

ChrisB
    Community Manager

Hello Everyone, we are working with McAfee on this issue.  Sammyboy, are you saying that after upgrading to Windows 8 you are unable to download Cox Security Suite?

Hailstone
    New Contributor

Due to my impatience, I uninstalled McAfee to allow Win 8 to install figuring I could just re-install McAfee later but every attempt to download from the cox site has failed. Keep getting site is unavailable or I'm not the primary user. Tried online tech chat three times and nobody seems to know how to fix. They say the problem is that McAfee is not compatible with Win 8. Now I'm on the internet with no virus protection. Just going to cox site now and then in the hope that Cox and McAfee will get together and get the win 8 compatible version out soon to download. I'm just not sure if it is a compatibility issue trying to download the security suite from Cox.

OldnAchy
    New Contributor

Irritating that McAfee is behind the curve with regards to Windows 8.  From what I see, there are a couple of no cost options for those not wanting to wait until this is resolved or have already installed Windows 8 and uninstalled McAfee.

1.  Get a trial version of another security software product that supports Windows 8 and use it until this is resolved.  For example, Norton has a 30 day trial version of Norton 360:

http://buy-static.norton.com/norton/ps/3up_us_en_navnis360_brandfr.html?om_sem_cid=hho_sem_sy:us:bng:en:b|kw0000054343|1093321704&country=US

Hopefully McAfee will be straightened out within the trial period and you can uninstall the trial and install McAfee.

2.  Use Windows 8 Firewall and Defender (beefed up combination of WIndows 7 Defender and Security Essentials).  Turning on and using those two will provide a basic level of protection.

As for me, I am staying away from Windows 8 until this issue is resolved.

ChrisB
    Community Manager

Hello Everyone,

There is a compatibility issue with our website and Windows 8 that may keep you from being able to download McAfee from our website.  We are working to correct this issue.  In the mean time you should be able to use the links below to download the Security Suite.

Link for Cox Security Suite

https://myaccount.cox.net/internettools/securitysuite/manage.cox?product=csspforpc

Link for McAfee Family Protection

https://myaccount.cox.net/internettools/securitysuite/manage.cox?product=mfpforpc

OldnAchy
    New Contributor

There is still a question of compatibility.  Release 11 of McAfee Security Suite in not compatible with WIndows 8.  McAfee 2013 is.  Which version will we download if we go to the direct link?

OldnAchy
    New Contributor

Update.  Decided to bite the bullet and upgrade to Windows 8 on my desktop.  Before upgrading I:

--  created a Windows 7 recovery disk and ran a full backup (windows 7 system image) to my external HDD.

--  Uninstalled McAfee Security Suite.  Note that this was done using the Uninstall Program in the Control Panel and is necessary for Windows 8 to successfully install.

After the upgrade I noticed that WIndows Defender and Windows Firewall were turned on.  Nice.

I went back to Cox.Net and navigated thru Cox Security Suite to Manage my Subscriptions.  Didn't really need the direct link to do that so that problem must be fixed.  I then clicked download Security Suite.  It downloaded and installed with no problems.  For anyone who has not yet upgraded to WIndows 8 I strongly suggest the two steps above before starting.  For anyone who has, the software can now be downloaded and installed.

BillyJ
    New Contributor

FYI, same issue with Norton.  I upgraded two PCs from Windows 7 to Windows 8 a few weeks ago and the only way I could get it to work was to uninstall Norton.  

ebtechie
    New Contributor

I forced McAfee to force update recently and the assement now says it passed , It might be compatible nnow i think