Forum Discussion

CWJ
New Contributor
10 years ago

Email delivery problems continue Windows Live Mail

I, like others I read on the forum, have been having some real delay-type problems with email. I am using Windows Live and have been for years. About 2-3 weeks ago I started noticing that it took forever to "receive" emails where in the past it was "connect" and "receive" and the emails. Now it goes into the "receiving" mode and will time out. I switched from 1 min to 2 mins but it still times out and I have to click "wait".

Something has changed as is evidenced by mine and others experiences. I also share other's opinions about contacting support on the phone. It gets you nowhere...and that's sad but it seems to be the new "norm" with customer service.

I recently purchased a new router on the advice of a moderator and while my download and upload speeds have increased there is no improvement in the email delivery.

So....I humbly ask...what is going on? It can't be "us" when others are having the same problem. If it is a Cox-side problem just let us know and we can bide our time until the problem is fixed. It's being in limbo that breeds the frustration you see on the topic.

Thanks!

CWJ

9 Replies

Replies have been turned off for this discussion
    ChrisL
    Former Moderator
    I'd start by logging into your webmail and see if you receive messages there in a timely manner.  In many cases anti-virus can cause connection failures or timeouts with email clients.

CWJ
    New Contributor

Logging into Cox Webmail directly results in no delays. Do not believe it is the anti-virus as I have had Norton for many many years and have never had a problem with emails on Windows Live. As I said, just the past 2-3 weeks has this become a pain in the you know what!

As I type I am awaiting for the email to download onto my computer.

CWJ

ChrisL
    Former Moderator
    If you're seeing your message in webmail I'd definitely reconsider with regards to the anti-virus.  You could perhaps also try setting up an email client on a different PC/device to see if it has the same problems.

CWJ
    New Contributor

I'd agree to that...setting up on another device. I have a Win 8.1 laptop that I would like to set up the Live Mail on...but searching the Cox instructions for "mail" I don't see the step by step that would walk me through that.

Now....I called Cox Support awhile back looking for guidance on setting up the Windows 8.1 Mail App as well as the Live Mail but after some back and forth she told me to call Microsoft!  How's that for leaving a good taste in your mouth!

I had set up the Mail App and it would receive email through the Cox server but would not send it. The outgoing would just stack up in the "outgoing" folder and never be sent. Hence the call to your support line. Hence the suggestion to call Microsoft.  hence the frustration that continues!

I will say this: It seems Chris L does care and tried to help people.

CWJ

ChrisL
    Former Moderator
    @CWJ

Give http://www.cox.com/residential/support/internet/article.cox?articleId={38611eb0-bc75-11e1-eb46-000000000000} a try and see if this is the help you're looking for.

duhmel
    New Contributor III

Problem was gone yesterday but is back today.  I understand that 'maintenance' was done last night.  Tech support is acting like the 3 Stooges on this, nobody seems to admit that thewre is a problem.  I can't believe that they don't know since so many are complaining.  Maybe the geeks are just not telling the CSRs.

CWJ
    New Contributor

Mine has not improved at all! I installed Live 2012 on the laptop and the same long delays...with a different anti-virus package than the desktop.

At this point....you'll never convince me it is not a Cox problem!

CWJ

KC5
    New Contributor III

Mine is delayed on webmail as well.  So they can blame it all they want on anti-virus, etc but that is not the case.

Same thing, mine was fixed for a day or two and now is back to terrible delays.   I am beyond frustrated.  Just drove to a soccer practice that was cancelled - but guess what - I didn't get the email!

EdwardH
    Valued Contributor
    There was maintenance a few nights ago on the mail servers, and some ongoing issues with servers having delays due to the amount of incoming messages. It should no cause any emails to be missed however. If that is happening we would need to investigate that as a separate problem.
    ---