Forum Discussion

Irvine_Turtlero
New Contributor
10 years ago

Anyone with intermittent Internet outages in Irvine?

I am experiencing issues with Cox Internet services in Irvine, CA for the past few days. It will slow down at night, and then eventually die by the morning. I tried to reboot my SB6121 modem in the mornings when that happened. It continued to be down after multiple tries until sometime after 7:30. The service speed will then gradually pick up once there's a connection. Here is what Speedtest is reporting of the download speed (Curiously that the upload speed was always in 6-8M range even when the download speed was almost non-existent):

11/4: 9:38 pm - 0.2; gave up for the night. used ATT LTE on phone instead.

11/5: rebooted multiple times between 7 to 8 am, spoke to tech support and was told she could not see my modem; finally got a connection after 8; 8:14 am - 0.63; 8:15 am - 2.18; 8:28 am 5.86; 8:39 am - 12.14; 9:40 am - 27.48; 11:04 am - 43.6; went down and had to reboot again; 11:55 am - 3.74.

I don't have the data points from the previous days but it had been yo-yo'ing like this for 3-4 days now. I assume that they may be doing maintence at night though I also found out that their support doesn't know what might be going on at different locales. They offered to send a tech to my house. It MAY incur charges.

Anyone having the same issues in Irvine, especially the Turtle Rock area?

Cox used to have reliable services. They have gone on the fritz like this more than I care for during the past few years while regularly raising the service charges :(

1 Reply

Replies have been turned off for this discussion
    ChrisL
    Former Moderator
    Looking from this end the only problem that stands out is that the downstream signal levels being reported by the modem are a little out of specification.  I'd try seeing if there are any splitters you could try bypassing.  It would probably also be beneficial to try testing without the router just to see if that makes any difference.