Forum Discussion

RobertJ
New Contributor
10 years ago

Web site problem with error "The connection has timed out"

I don't actually loose the connection but my browser seems to think so. IF I click the "Try Again" button it comes up normally. I found a proxy setting in my Firefox browser that should not have been there and removed it, but it still comes up.

Anyone else experience this and find a way to get rid of it?

Thanks

10 Replies

Replies have been turned off for this discussion
  • Hi RobertJ, have you updated Firefox recently? Does this happen when/if you use any other web browsers?

RobertJ
    New Contributor

I have the latest Firefox, according to their website.

I never use IE unless I have to for a particular website, but I just tried several sites in it and they seemed to come up fine.

I have no other browsers on my PC.

• Hi RobertJ, so IE works fine, but you are still having this issue with Firefox? Have you tried clearing cache and restarting the browser?
    RobertJ
    New Contributor

Several times. I am going to remove it, remove my AVG Internet Security, reboot, and then re-install and see if it helps.

RobertJ
    New Contributor

Removed Firefox, Removed AVG Internet Security, re-booted right after my last post. Have not been able to download the latest Firefox since then as it keeps failing. I am using Chrome and it is horrendously slow for most everything I am trying to do. IE and Chrome are both having problems downloading Firefox and are both very slow to react to selections. Have NOT re-installed AVG, I am currently using the Windows 8 firewall to not add any more complications into the mix. 

Web sites have been very slow loading much of the time since switching to Cox. I have a Cisco DPQ3925 modem. Not sure if I have a bad setting in it or what at this point.

RobertJ
    New Contributor

Re-installed Firefox this morning. Same problem as before. Still no AVG, only windows firewall.

Starting to think it is modem config related.

Health_Edge
    Valued Contributor III

RobertJ said:
    Starting to think it is modem config related.

A browser issue would have nothing to do with the modem config. Sounds like a PC issue. Have you tried with another device? Whats your home page BTW? Maybe thats failing sometimes.

RobertJ
    New Contributor

Don't I feel stupid fro not checking....

My wife's windows 7 pc screams through them all. Very quick response to web requests to the same sites that mine take a while to load.

Mine is win 8.1 and hooked up to the modem with a 1gb connection, including an actual 1gb rated cable. The modem shows it as a 1gb link.

So if all my browsers have slowness issues, what are anyone's thoughts on what to look at on my pc?

Health_Edge
    Valued Contributor III

RobertJ said:
    So if all my browsers have slowness issues, what are anyone's thoughts on what to look at on my pc?

"I never use IE unless I have to for a particular website, but I just tried several sites in it and they seemed to come up fine."

I thought it was stated IE works fine?

"Have not been able to download the latest Firefox since then as it keeps failing"

How does it keep failing? What ever is causing the problem with the installation is probably causing the issue with performance.