Forum Discussion

TravSD
New Contributor
10 years ago

New DPC3010 not receiving Premier 50Mbps provisioning in San Diego

I know last week the San Diego area received an upgrade for Preferred and Ultimate customers. However, I am still "stuck" on old 25/5 speeds even after purchasing an approved DOCSIS 3.0 Cisco DPC3010 cable modem and provisioning it for use. I am currently on the Preferred package.  

The modem is successfully provisioned and has connectivity, but cannot get speeds above 25mbps. I've tried power cycling the modem multiple times, resetting via the reset button on back, connecting PC directly to Ethernet interface on modem and throughout is still not increased.  I've heard a common issue where Preferred accounts were not "coded" properly for the upgrade and suspect this is the case.  

Can someone provide some guidance?  

7 Replies

Replies have been turned off for this discussion
    Health_Edge
    Valued Contributor III

I am not aware of the service "code" issue capping at 25Mb, usually caps rather dependably at 32Mb. When you say the modem is successfully provisioned, how do you know? Are you looking at your logs? The modem does need to reboot to download the new configuration file and should have happened the night (1-3AM) of the upgrade. If that didn't happen, having Cox reprovision your modem might help. Until then, rebooting the modem is a more common step. 

TravSD
    New Contributor

HE-

I've reached out to Cox support via email with account number and MAC of Cisco DPC3010 to have them verify.  The service "code" I was referring to was a poor choice of words.   In essence, I meant that the Cox Account for the service may not have the appropriate flag for the upgrade; a common occurrence I've read in these forums on this problem for Preferred and above Tiered customers.  You're right too - peak down is about 32Mbps (about 5-6 up)- depends on the time of day the test is performed since residential cable modems aren't  asymmetrical in their connection.  

I'm looking at the logs and the HTTP GUI of the Cisco Modem itself - 192.168.100.1.  All down and up channels bonded and working (8x4).  I just upgraded and provisioned this modem today.  

Health_Edge
    Valued Contributor III

TravSD said:
    The service "code" I was referring to was a poor choice of words.

Actually it was spot on. I knew what you meant, just didn't think it was that until...

TravSD said:
    peak down is about 32Mbps

..you said that. The reason I thought 25Mb was relevent is because thats around the top cap of DOCSIS 2.0, so I thought maybe the modem was stuck in D2 mode. 

Sorry I sidetracked the thread. Suggest waiting for a moderator to post so they can fix. Or you can call their technical support and have them swap it. It should be a common enough problem for them to know how to fix by now.

TravSD
    New Contributor

HE-

No worries!  You didn't sidetrack me at all!  Thanks for your input and ideas on this. The forums are for information exchange. I'll post back here tomorrow on what the results were with Cox support. I'm going to guess it's the provisioning of the service and the account.  It's frustrating:  I'm a network engineer by trade but know so little about DOCSIS technology, how modems are provisioned and cable modems overall. 

Health_Edge
    Valued Contributor III

TravSD said:
    I'm a network engineer by trade but know so little about DOCSIS technology, how modems are provisioned and cable modems overall. 

Basically how it works is Cox uses a database system to track accounts. In that system, each account has a code that stands for your internet plan or tier. When a modem is added to a account, the account system looks at what code it has and provisions or builds that service on the back end. Its this 2nd layer the modem talks to when booting up so it knows what configuration to download. And it's the configuration file that dictates the QoS throttle which dictates your speed. The problem is Cox has two service codes for Preferred and Premier, one for those with DOCSIS 2.0 modems and one with DOCSIS 3.0 modems. The configuration file attached to the DOCSIS 2.0 code caps at 32Mb. Not 100% accurate, but hopefully that should give some insight.

TravSD
    New Contributor

Got my modem corrected yesterday. Your help with the reference of "D2" and "D3" helped the Tier 1 support person I got over the phone. My Cox account was flagged for the upgrade, but the support analyst "reset" the D3 reference, rebooted the cable modem remotely and boom - 53Mbps down/7Mbps up.  I'm a happy camper now.  

For those of you on Preferred and Ultimate that have a working DOCSIS 3.0 cable modem and are still stuck at around 25Mbps/5Mbps, use my experience to your benefit when contacting Cox to have them address your 50Mbps upgrade that was recently issued for the San Diego, CA area. 

Health_Edge
    Valued Contributor III

The service code issue only effects Preferred and Premier customer. To my knowledge, there is only one service code for Ultimate, and thats for D3 modems. Probably because no one has ultimate with a D2 modem. Glad you got it fixed.