Forum Discussion

Rman8981
New Contributor
10 years ago

Huge lag spikes for the last few days in Phoenix, AZ

Anybody else having problems with this?  Health Edge helped me a few months back with problems between Cox/World of Warcraft, but this one is definitely Cox.  Speed tests are all over the place, and seems to be some packet loss.

9 Replies

Replies have been turned off for this discussion
    Valikura
    New Contributor

I'm in Phoenix as well and only recently got Cox internet due to terrible customer service with my last ISP. While playing League of Legends, Final Fantasy 14, Tera Online, Hearthstone, Dark Souls 2, everything gets high ping. I'm talking spikes of 300-1000 every 5 seconds. Now in things like Hearthstone and Dark Souls 2 the ping doesn't matter all the much, but losing control of my character every 5 seconds in League of Legends or MMOs is really bad. 

ChrisL
    Former Moderator
    Something does appear to be causing intermittent high latency when I look for this end.  Could you possibly try testing again with a single device connected to the modem?

Rman8981
    New Contributor

Single device connected to the modem?  Not sure what you mean, but I've got a hard connection straight from the modem to the computer.  No routers, etc.

Valikura
    New Contributor

My computer is the only one connected, and it is connected straight to the modem. I just had a technician come out today and give me more run around garbage. So far every technician sent out proves he is not capable of his job. One said ping and packet loss shouldn't effect gaming at all. Another says I need to upgrade to 150 mbs download rate to play games.

So I'm sick of dealing with technicians that don't know what they're doing. I talk to someone who actually went to college for this kind of thing and he had experience already with this issue because it happened to him. As he said, "I had a similar issue and cox kept claiming it wasn't their fault but the modem logs showed that the lines had a signal-to-noise ratio that was outside the standard tolerance." Now I tried logging into the modem to see if it is indeed the same issue he had but the last technician appears to have done something to it and the log in name/password are incorrect.

I switched to Cox due to the terrible customer service with Century Link, but it is almost as though you have some sort of competition to prove your's is worse. Century Link may have been a pain in the **** but at least they provided a RELIABLE service.

Health_Edge
    Valued Contributor III

Do you and the OP know each other? Are you the same person?

Either way what modem do you have? The only Cox modem with a password I can think are the Cisco variety and the password for that is <blank> and <blank>. Basically fill nothing in and hit log in. But it should give the signal levels even without logging in. Unless you mean gateway, instead of modem, in which case, what model number?

Valikura
    New Contributor

I don't know Rman8981, just happen to both be living in Phoenix. After spending all day talking to multiple customer service reps it appears the issues with the modem have been dealt with (t3 and t4 errors). However, the huge ping spikes still happen, but after talking to multiple people in my area and at my college who have Cox and are having similar issues I'm beginning to believe this is just some major issue Cox is currently having. Guess it was just bad luck to switch to Cox internet right as their network has a heart attack.

Health_Edge
    Valued Contributor III

Valikura said:
    After spending all day talking to multiple customer service reps it appears the issues with the modem have been dealt with (t3 and t4 errors)

How was it "dealt" with? T3/T4 errors are usually due to signal issues on the upstream, but there can be other causes too. Just wondering in case the same fix might work for Rman8981.

Valikura
    New Contributor

The technician that came out earlier in the day replaced the majority of the cables and replaced the modem. He wanted to check the speed on the Cox speed test but every attempt to bring up the speed test on Cox site resulted in this http://prntscr.com/3phqgb and atm is still doing this. Later on the phone one of the reps had me run some things through command prompt. I don't remember what she told me to type in the prompt though. Somewhere in that time the T3 and T4 errors appear to have been fixed, or at least are not returning yet.

Health_Edge
    Valued Contributor III

Valikura said:
    every attempt to bring up the speed test on Cox site resulted in this http://prntscr.com/3phqgb

Thats usually caused by a email provisioning error. See this thread. It was fixed by "disabled and re-enabled my email account."

Valikura said:
    I don't remember what she told me to type in the prompt though.

Probably either a Ping or tracert to see if you were having any latency or packet loss. There isn't anything you can do in CMD to fix a T3/T4 error problem, since thats all at the modem. My guess is the technician fix the issue when he was working on the cables. If the problem comes back, I would start by posting your modem's signal levels.