Forum Discussion

sam_hendrick
New Contributor
10 years ago

slow internet in North San Diego County CA

I've been having slower and slower internet speeds. It started several days ago (5/27/2014) and today it's about 5/1 and I have 50/8 service. Anybody else having issues?

6 Replies

Replies have been turned off for this discussion
    Health_Edge
    Valued Contributor III

Another thread had a similar 5mbps cap, but no idea where they are from and they had some slight signal issues too, so may not be relevant.

Speaking of which, can you post your signal levels? Should be able to find them on the modem's 192.168.100.1 webpage, or reply with your modem model and I can give specifics.

• turns out it was my switch... I rebooted the Router, modem and PC... but never thought a switch could be the issue. I unplugged it and BNAG... All is well again... but be careful ISP... we are watching you! None of that fast lane s%#t 

softweyr
    New Contributor

Yes.  I called the voice robot from ***, and after walking through their basic connection diagnostics, all was restored.  They seem to want you to call their service occasionally for a chat with the robot.  Or maybe they're just incompetent.  At any rate, that did clear up the issue.

For the Cox people and the naysayers: Yes, I unplugged the modem, turned off the router, waited 30 seconds, re-plugged the modem, waited until the connection was stable, and restarted the router.  Last night, this morning, and just before calling.  Repeated as instructed by the robot, and then it worked.  Yes, they "fixed" something.  How did it get broken?  Your guess is as good as mine.

Cox: the DMV of the internet.  Go Monopoly!

softweyr
    New Contributor

My speed is back to 1Mbps today, just 20 hours later.  Called the Cox DMV, and got the usual run-around.  "Do you lease your modem from us or own it?" "Own it."  "It's your modem, we'll send a crew tomorrow."

Great, so today that gets me... the ability to watch netflix with skips, OR talk on the phone, OR...

And it's not the modem.  Not not not.  Will update if it actually turns out to be the modem.  I'm off to Office Depot or Wally-Mart to get a new one.

Health_Edge
    Valued Contributor III

If you're so sure it's not your modem why are you buying a new one? And you say your speed is "back" to 1Mbps but I don't see a prior post. Can you give some specifics like what modem you have and it's signal levels? Were you looking for help from users or a moderator? If a moderator, you might want to start a new thread and try not insulting them?

softweyr
    New Contributor

The moderators of this forum have ZERO ability to help with issues like this.  Or pretty much anything else.  One of the joys of dealing with COX is how many layers of employees you have to fight your way through to get to anyone who knows anything about anything.  Everyone else is just reading from a script, and standing in between me and whoever has the actual solution.

I had made a previous posting, which you would have seen if you'd been reading all of the threads about slow connections and drops in North County, as opposed to weighing in with your useless advice on this one instance.

This morning, the fine COX service rep arrived at home, confirmed that the network operators made a big config change in North County last Wednesday, that it's cause tons of problems, that they haven't actually replaced any modems, and are running around taking cable splitters out of everyone's lines because the change caused them to deliver less signal strength to residential customers.

I have a 'structured wiring' closet where the cable comes in from outside.  There's a splitter built into the box that all of the rooms in the house with cable outlets are connected to.  It's a 1x8 splitter; the only cable actually plugged into it is the one going to the room where the cable modem is, as we don't have COX tv service, just internet.  The service rep removed the outside cable and the cable to this room from the splitter, connected them together with a barrel connector, and now all is well.

This brings to mind so many questions, starting with why didn't the telephone CSRs know about this?  (Or perhaps they did, but were instructed not to give out information about such a bad decision?)  Why wasn't the change backed out when the calls started flooding in, until they at least better understood the ramifications?  And so on and so forth...

The answer boils down to a combination of incompetence and internal miscommunication, and that COX corporate culture is so very much based on "whaddya going to do, go to the nonexistent competitor?"

So if anyone else trips across this thread, just call Cox and get them to send the service rep out.  You'll get your connection back, a free barrel connector, and it'll cost them more than your months bill.  Maybe next time they'll think twice before hosing a giant chunk of their customers.  But I doubt it.