Forum Discussion

ThomRU
New Contributor
10 years ago

home networking

I have a bunch of questions. I got a wireless router from cox solutions store today and there is no instructions on use of it. I got it connected ok. But I do not know how to secure it and set up password for it or anything. I click on "home networking" on the cox site and "get started" a message pops up: We're sorry, Cox's Home Network Security Check application requires to use Microsoft Internet Explorer 6.0 or higher. Please try again using a compatible browser. I am using IE11 and windows 7. An online tech guy told me to delete history and cookies and restart computer. That did not fix anything I am still getting the same message. What do I need to do to let cox know I am using IE 11 ??

10 Replies

Replies have been turned off for this discussion
    Health_Edge
    Valued Contributor III

What kind of router is it?

Also, have you ever installed a router before? It will usually come with a CD or come set up, with all the info you need printed on a sticker on the router.

ThomRU
    New Contributor
    Health Edge said:

What kind of router is it?

Also, have you ever installed a router before? It will usually come with a CD or come set up, with all the info you need printed on a sticker on the router.

I have already installed the router. My question is: how to use it. How to name the network, How to change the password, how to connect to cox's "Home Networking" ( when I try it says " you have to use ie 6 or higher AND I am using ie11 DERRRR) There were instructions on how to install it, but nothing at all about how to use it and keep everyone in the neighborhood from using it ! I got this directly from the "Cox Solutions" store and all it has given me is a bunch of problems with no solutions. Even online cox tech people act like they have no clue what I am talking about.
    Health_Edge
    Valued Contributor III

Again, I ask, what kind of router is it?  Your asking how to use something but haven't told what it is yet.

Most routers sold by Cox become preconfigured with a network name and password. The HomeNetworking tool on Cox.net is just a test to see if your router is secure, it has nothing to do with setting up or using your router. That can only be done via the CD or the routers user interface. I can give specifics though once I know what you have.

ThomRU
    New Contributor
    Health Edge said:

Again, I ask, what kind of router is it? Big Smile Your asking how to use something but haven't told what it is yet.

Most routers sold by Cox become preconfigured with a network name and password. The HomeNetworking tool on Cox.net is just a test to see if your router is secure, it has nothing to do with setting up or using your router. That can only be done via the CD or the routers user interface. I can give specifics though once I know what you have.

oh sorry..... :) Netgear DOCSIS 3.0 Wireless cable Data Gateway CG3000Dv2
    Health_Edge
    Valued Contributor III

The CG3000Dv2 comes prefigured with a network name (SSID) and password (WPA Key) . See here

To log into the gateway to change settings you would access it via it's 192.168.0.1 webpage, with the username of Admin and password of password. Or see page 10 of manual. To change the SSID and WPA key, see page 13.

Was there something else specific you were trying to change? Some of the gateways have firmware that remove some of the more advanced features, so it may be limited what you can adjust. 

ThomRU
    New Contributor
    Health Edge said:

The CG3000Dv2 comes prefigured with a network name (SSID) and password (WPA Key) . See here

To log into the gateway to change settings you would access it via it's 192.168.0.1 webpage, with the username of Admin and password of password. Or see page 10 of manual. To change the SSID and WPA key, see page 13.

Was there something else specific you were trying to change? Some of the gateways have firmware that remove some of the more advanced features, so it may be limited what you can adjust. 

I have found the user manual online. Thanks so much for your help. The only other thing I am interested in is using the " home networking" feature on cox.com. I am using IE11 and when I click the "get started" button a red error message immediately pops up and says I have to be using IE6 or higher... well I am so I do not understand what is wrong here....
    Health_Edge
    Valued Contributor III

I don't think the Home Network manager ever worked. There was a thread on it here, but doesnt give too much info on what the problem is. I thought you meant the Network Security tool at first, which is different. 

• ThomRU, 

Your device at the very least, should have come with a pamphlet and a CD pre packaged in the box by the manufacturer. As Health Edge stated, the device comes pre-secured by the manufacturer and there is a label right on it that displays the Network Name (SSID) and key or network password.  

As for the Home Network Security Check application, it only works in compatibility mode. This is an issue that we are aware of. It seems that Microsoft left the compatibility feature out in IE 11. But I can tell you that the application will only verify if the network is secure, which it will be by default when using factory settings on your device. For reference, here's a link to your device's user manual: http://media.cox.com/support/print_media/internet/equipment/Netgear_CG3000D_User_Guide.pdf

**edit** Thank you Health Edge for your never ending fountain of knowledge 

ThomRU
    New Contributor
    ColleenD said:

ThomRU, 

Your device at the very least, should have come with a pamphlet and a CD pre packaged in the box by the manufacturer. As Health Edge stated, the device comes pre-secured by the manufacturer and there is a label right on it that displays the Network Name (SSID) and key or network password.  

As for the Home Network Security Check application, it only works in compatibility mode. This is an issue that we are aware of. It seems that Microsoft left the compatibility feature out in IE 11. But I can tell you that the application will only verify if the network is secure, which it will be by default when using factory settings on your device. For reference, here's a link to your device's user manual: http://media.cox.com/support/print_media/internet/equipment/Netgear_CG3000D_User_Guide.pdf

**edit** Thank you Health Edge for your never ending fountain of knowledge Yes

Hi Colleen, the only thing in the box was a phamplet on how to hook it up. AND you talk to me like I should have known the silly network name and password was on the thing. Instructions would have been nice - or at least something telling me where to go online for the silly instructions. The girl at the solution store had told me their would be usage instructions on the inside on how to name the network and set a different password. I hooked it up and didn't even have a clue if anyone in the neighborhood could log on or what. There wasn't even anything telling me that the password was on the label on the side of the thing, and I couldn't even log on to it. I have been having horrible connection problems with Cox and after this fiasco wishing I would have taken my friends advice who left cox for the bad connections for something else. Thanks to healthedge I knew what to do. I am certainly glad it was healthedge helping me and not you with your attitude. Cox needs to give their people some lessons on how to deal with customers better you came across rudely now that I am rereading that.
    ChrisL
    Former Moderator
    It's certainly not our intention to come off rude in anyway.  Forum communication lacks a certain context making it difficult to say the least to try and read emotion.  We don't recommend changing the network name and key for convenience reasons should the device ever need to be reset as how they'll revert back to what is on the label however if you still wish to change them the manual Colleen provided the link to should prove helpful.  Let us know if you have any further questions.