Forum Discussion

DonM
New Contributor
11 years ago

Cox.net Email Price to Keep Service By Itself

I am planning on switching from Cox to another provider.

I want to know if I can keep my cox.net email and if there is a fee to keep it what is the approximate price per month.

2 Replies

Replies have been turned off for this discussion
    Health_Edge
    Valued Contributor III

You can only keep your email address if you pay. I am not sure exactly how much, but I imagine its something low like 10-15$ a month. I don't think that includes things like online backup or Mcafee, FYI if you happen to use those. 

If your going to switch email, why not switch to Gmail? Its free, better, and faster then anything from your ISP, no matter who it is. You could even set up a vacation message with Cox to tell people of your new email and automatically forward it. And then if you should ever change ISP again, you won't have to worry about your email.

Bruce
    Honored Contributor III

Email is great.  Free email is better.  However, email providers make money from their "generosity"...moreover, if you've become dependent on their email service, email providers continue to make money from your reluctancy to switch.

Advertisers will pay Cox to expose their subscribers to their messages, such as junk mail, ads on their websites, coupons, etc.  As long as you're on the Cox domain, advertises can reach you and Cox will make money.  Yahoo, for example, has over 400 million subscribers.  If you, as a company, want to sell Doctor Oz's Miracle Pill, wouldn't you pay Yahoo to reach 400 million people?  Yahoo has even engineered their spam to expose you.  Although messages from Doctor Oz goes directly in their Spam folder, Yahoo removed the ability to automatically delete it.  You have to go into your Spam folder, be exposed to Doctor Oz's message, select it and manually delete it.  If you're tidy, curious or just annoyed, you'll get exposed.

You shouldn't have to pay for that.  And if you're paying Cox for email service, well, they get paid twice.

Follow Health Edge's advice with Gmail.  So far, they're the best with not exposing me to spam.  I don't care how they make money as long as I don't have get annoying junk mail.