Forum Discussion

rhsortho
New Contributor
11 years ago

now I can't connect to my cisco dpc3825 wirelessly....

well after having more "ip conflicts", decided to once again factory-reset it.  that went fine, however now, none of my wireless pc will connect. never had this issue before so I am stumped. the wired smart tv and ps3 are able to get online.  my desktops (xp/win7/8) and an xp laptop will not connect via wireless.  I can plug in the laptop's Ethernet and can get online.  when I try to login wirelessly, I get the "windows was unable to connect to....".  when I run the troubleshooter it recommends investigating the router or accesspoint, and suggests the usual reboot everything....

When I do those steps and "check to see if problem is fixed", I get a "Problem found- problem with wireless adapter or access point".

all the computers can see the modem listed in the wireless icon window but it will not connect. 

there must be something obvious I am missing but I don't see it.. any ideas what to check?  I've done this many times before withough issue as I still have DSL service. didn't cancel it til I tried out cox for the 3 month promo/trial.

2 Replies

Replies have been turned off for this discussion
    ChrisL
    Former Moderator
    If you've done a full factory reset on the router the wireless key/password that needs to be used should be the one on the label on the bottom.  If that doesn't work there may be an issue with the encryption level being used.  You can check that by logging into the router at http://192.168.1.1.  You could try varying combinations of WPA/WPA2, AES and TKIP to see if one works better for you.  WPA2-AES is preferable however many older adapters aren't equipped to use it. 
    rhsortho
    New Contributor

thanks for that tip Chris.  Yes, I have used the factory preset password, which would not work (I've done a couple factory resets prior to this with no issues) which is why I am stumped.  I will take a look at the encryption.  I believe it was wpa2 tkip(?) anyway, will have to look later when I can plug in the laptop downstairs since I cant get in from my desktop. thanks again.