Forum Discussion

barrettd
New Contributor II
10 months ago

Internet connection drops a few times per day

I had a tech visit last week to try and fix a jack. The coax in the jack turned out not to be Cox, so nothing was done with that. The tech did some work out on the box, and ever since the visit, my router drops the internet connection every few hours and shows this message in the system logs:

IGD[14598]: igd.info Eventing:PhysicalLinkStatus=Down

This is extremely frustrating. How can I fix this issue? My only thought was to factory reset the router and see what happens, but I can't help but think there was something done at the box to screw this up. I previously had practically zero service interruptions, and now I lose it so often, it's very disruptive.

EDIT: Wanted to add, after reading some other threads with similar issues, the tech did fix the jack where the router is connected. The jack was separated from the wall with another cable coming out, as well, and he cleaned that up. Just in case that might have caused an issue.

7 Replies

Replies have been turned off for this discussion
    WiderMouthOpen
    Esteemed Contributor

Do you have a Cox Panoramic gateway? If so, post your signal levels from 192.168.0.1 > user:admin password:password (unless changed) > Connection > Cox Network. The downstream and upstream levels are of concern. You can either upload a screenshot here by joining the Internet forum or upload it to Imgur and post a link. See here for more instructions uploading a file. If not possible, check the levels themselves. The downstream should be between +5 to -5dB and SNR should be above 35. Upstream should be below 50.

barrettd
      New Contributor II

I think this is what you're requesting. If I'm reading the right numbers, they appear to be in the ranges you suggested. I will say my current uptime is 3.25 days, so maybe something has worked itself out?

WiderMouthOpen
        Esteemed Contributor

I would say your upstream is a little high on channel 3 and might be causing a problem. Hard to say without looking at the event logs but I don't think that model has any. Do you see any T3 timeout errors in the logs you can see?