Forum Discussion

rankin
New Contributor
11 years ago

Cable Modem - Orange Status Light

I just installed the new Cox Cisco Cable Modem DPQ3212. All is well so far. But according to both the Cisco documentation and Cox's web site all LED status lights are green. All of mine are except the LINK status light - it is blinking orange. I searched the Internet and found one explanation - Green indicated Gigabit Ethernet and orange indicated 100/10 Mbps. I am running fast Ethernet so this seems to be correct.  Can anyone verify this?

Trikein
    Contributor III

Thats seems to fit what I have found. One way to test it is to connect it direct to your PC and then go into the NIC's advanced options and change the duplex between 100/Full and 1000/Full and see if the light changes. Also, make sure the ethernet wire is a a CAT5e atleast if your trying to establish a 1000/full connection and that the router/PC has a 1000Mb WAN port.

PS. As a side note, you don't gain anything between 100/full and 1000/full unless your tier is over 100Mbps.

ChrisL
    Former Moderator
    Fast Ethernet is actually 10/100Mbps.  If it doesn't explicitly say Gigabit that's the likely explanation for the lights as you see them now.