Forum Discussion

R08
New Contributor
11 years ago

Internal IP address issue

From everyone I've talked to at Cox, my Cisco DPQ3212 modem is supposed to push out a 192.168... address scheme. As far as I know, mine used to, until a couple days ago. It's now sending out a 68.101... scheme and most of my equipment will not communicate with it. According to Cox, I cannot go in and manually set the IP of the modem back to 192.168... because it's locked down to keep me from accessing those settings. My router and all my other equipment are still on the 192.168... scheme. I have tested the router and computers on other networks and they work fine. Through Cox phone support I have reset the modem. When it first powers on, it starts pushing out a 192.168... scheme, but as soon as it gets online, it changes back to the 68.101... scheme. I can set my router to the 68.101... scheme, but it will not connect to the Internet when set to that. The modem itself has internet access and I can connect an Apple computer directly to it and access the internet. I thought perhaps it was a problem with the modem itself, and Cox switched it out for a new one, but it does the same thing.

According to Cox phone support, all they can help me with is getting online and since the Apple will go online, that's all they can do. The problem with that is that I don't own the Apple and none of my family's computers will go online now, even when connected directly to the modem. I can pay for the Cox Tech Solutions account or pay for a technician to come out to the house, but I don't have one of those money trees so I prefer to not pay to fix something that Cox says I could not have changed on my end. Has anyone dealt with this or know of any possible solutions? It appears that the Cox network is telling the modem to push out this 68.101... address scheme.

Thanks for any suggestions. 

3 Replies

Replies have been turned off for this discussion
    Health_Edge
    Valued Contributor III

The Cisco DPQ3212 is a modem, and does not have any routing function built in so it would be unable to provide a 192 IP which is a private IP. The reason it gives a 192 IP out at first is because it connects to your computer (or router) before it connects to Cox's DHCP server so all it can provide is a internal IP, but not one used for internet. Its kind of like how cable boxes say 5:00 or 12:00 before they fully reboot.

Next, each time you connect that modem to a different device (router, laptop, desktop, etc) you have to reboot the modem so it can assign the 68.x.x.x IP to the specific MAC address of that device. Also, if your looking to get more then once device online at the same time (or avoid the inconvenience required reboot to switch) you would need a router.

Can you give me a list of the devices you want connected (laptops, phones, etc) and your available equipment (modems, routers, switches, etc) Seems like there is a piece missing from the story.

R08
    New Contributor

Thanks for the response. I have a D-Link DIR 600 wired & wireless router that has been connected to the modem and then everything else was connected to the router. To that router, I have a Windows computer and a Sony BlueRay player both hard wired. Wirelessly we regularly connect a Windows laptop, a couple Chromebooks and a few iPods, iPads & phones. It all worked fine until a couple mornings ago and hasn't worked right since then. I initially thought it was the router, but after I swapped it out & got the same result with a Cisco E2000 router, I tried them both on other modems and they work fine. I only tried the modem without the router after this problem came up and the only computer that I can get online with while connected to that modem is a borrowed MacBook Pro.

Health_Edge
    Valued Contributor III

Do you have a preference which router you to use? Both should work fine.

1. Turn off all devices. (Or all within reason)

2. Connect ethernet from modem (DPQ3212) to "Internet" on router (DIR 600 or E2000). Optional: Connect ethernet from router (Port 1-4, doesn't matter) to PC. This makes it easier to run the CD.

3. Turn on modem. Wait until the lights dictate the modem is online.

4. Turn on Router. Wait for lights.

5. Turn on PC connected to router (See 2). 

6. Run CD that came with router. Optional: Open 192.168.0.1 to manually configure. Tell me which router your using and I can give specific instructions.

If this doesn't work, then the question is why. The answer can't be because the modem isn't give out a 192.x.x.x IP because it shouldn't. Infact, if it did, it would actually cause a issue. My guess is your forgetting to reboot the modem and you have the ethernet from modem going to the 1-4 port and not the internet port so its acting like a switch.