Forum Discussion

Privateers504
New Contributor II
11 years ago

Speed Increase for New Orleans area?

Hi,

I received an email about a speed increase coming in the next few weeks for my area, but I can't seem to find any specifics on what the speeds will be after the switch. I'm currently a Premier level customer in New Orleans getting 25 Mbps download and 5 Mbps upload.

I know the Baton Rouge area has 50 Mbps download and 10 Mbps upload for the same price. I'm just wondering if that is what we're going to be receiving soon, or if it'll be higher (since it says 3x faster on the website the email links to).

Thanks!

6 Replies

Replies have been turned off for this discussion
    Trikein
    Contributor III

I don't have any information on the schedule, but I do know you will need a DOCSIS 3.0 modem to get the upgrade and I bet they will have the same issue with the service code. Please don't Cox :-(

Privateers504
    New Contributor II

Trikein,

I appreciate the quick response. I do have a Motorola SB 6121, which should be good to go, correct? I've surfed the forum and don't exactly understand the service code issue. Could you explain in case I do have issues?

Thanks again!

Trikein
    Contributor III

Well, if you already have a DOCSIS 3.0 modem then you likely already have the correct code on your account. Basically, there is a file on the modem  that tells it how fast it can go. With the Premier Tier, there are two versions of the file; one if you have premier with a DOCSIS 2.0 modem and one if you have Premier with a DOCSIS 3.0 modem. What determines what file gets loaded on your modem is the specific service code for internet on your account. Its like a trigger that lets you go faster if the system detects a DOCSIS 3.0 modem on your account, so likely your already set. 

KipK
    Valued Contributor II

If you have Premier service and you already have a DOCSIS 3.0 modem when the speed increase happens, then the code gets swapped out the when the upgrade happens or just prior.

It's when people swap their modems after an upgrade that we get confused. 

Privateers504
    New Contributor II

Hey KipK,

Thanks for the clarification on all of this! Would you happen to know the speeds that are soon to be running in the New Orleans area? Also, with the speed increase, would the data allowance increase as well? Any info would be much appreciated!

Privateers504
    New Contributor II

Hi Tiffany,

I checked my bill for this month and was a bit startled to find out that my bill next month will be higher because Cox has to keep up with the "rising cost of doing business". At the same time, I see absolutely no mention of the speed increases that are supposed to be coming to my area in the next few weeks.

What startles me even more is the fact that for what I'm paying right now (not including the bill increase coming next month) someone just 60 miles away from me can get double the internet speeds- let me repeat that- DOUBLE the speed for the same price I'm paying now. In addition, when they checked their Cox bill, it mentions nothing about a rise in cost similar to what I will soon experience here in New Orleans. It's hard to believe that Cox says- on my bill- that they "will always do our best to deliver the service and value you expect" when I am getting so horribly gouged on internet pricing. 

If I am in some way misunderstanding the reasons behind this, please feel free to correct me. Perhaps this is just extremely poor communication on Cox's part, or perhaps it's just time for Cox to lose a loyal- and otherwise satisfied- customer.