Forum Discussion

stylinex
New Contributor II
6 years ago

Looking into class action lawsuit against COX for service install fees

Anyone here live in California that has poor internet connection? The complex I live in was built in 1985 and back in 1985 they used basic tv cables which were not meant for high speed internet download and upload speeds. In fact back then in many cities many of these housing units did not have lines built for such usage. Today though they replacing and changing cables around the cities and neighborhoods. Some homes have had their cables replaced and have no issues while others have not which have many issues.

When you first sign up they ask you if you need professional help with install which is $75. I said no Because I know how to set up a modem and am tech savvy myself. Ever since I got my unit at my house and set it up I had many issues. I kind of figured why which was because I passed on the $75 professional install. It seems that it was set up to milk customers for $75. I called to complain as my internet speeds were really slow and often did not have a connection when I needed it. I could not connect or go online when I needed to. When I spoke with the customer service representative I was told that there would be no service fee for technician unless it was found to be my issue with install inside my house or place of service. A technician was scheduled to come out for service. When the technician came out I explained to him what my issues were and he said he had already found the issue on the outside main line as line was loose and weak so he amped it up with a booster or amp he said and tightened connection and I should now be good to go. Were tested after and connection was ok and did not have any connection issues after. When bill arrived I was charged $55 for professional install. When I asked why I was told that it was because within 1 month if you call in you would need to pay the $55 serviced charge for professional install. The issue was not for install but rather a loose old line that was not setup and made for high speed broadband data transfer. The issue was also outside of the house. When you pay for service the are required by law to provide you with service and a line that works. In this case they did not and it seems as if they set it up so that they charge the customer $55 if they opt to not go with $75 professional install fee. It is like Apple charging you $75 for professional setup fee for your new phone but offering you a $55 setup fee if you are unable to get phone connected within 1 month. COX provides a service and when one pays for a service they need to insure that they customer has a working line that they pay for. One should not need to pay $75 or $55 to make sure that that line works. All these lines are old and have been setup and linked to homes in this case over 30 years ago. They need to maintain these lines and make sure they work. It is not  our responsibility to pay extra money to fix loose and not fully compatible old lines disguised under professional install charges when we already pay a service charge for that line. What we pay for has to be a working line. Now if I did not know how to set it up and needed help for someone to come out and take modem out of box and set everything else up for me that may be a different story. Connecting the modem to the house cable wire and plugging in the power adapter does not require Einstein.

If there is an issue outside your place of issue then COX cable should be responsible for fixing line without charging customer for it especially if lines are 20-30 years old!

3 Replies

Replies have been turned off for this discussion
    Jerry
    Contributor II

Looking into class action lawsuit against COX for service install fees

The first place you should look is the TOS you agreed to but apparently didn't read. Then, if the tech gave you any paperwork detailing the problem he found and the remedy he performed, get the ticket number or whatever it is they call it, and call customer service again so they can read it for themselves and they should issue a credit. Or email cox.help@cox.com explain the situation in a much condensed form including the number and they can look into it at their leisure. They usually end up doing the right thing after they've tried everything else.

lupette
      New Contributor

Where do the replays go? Why did my post from last week get deleted? What's up Cox?

lupette
    New Contributor

Posting this again because the first one disappeared. I live in Nevada and I have identical issues with Cox. They always wanting to send a technician out to fix the problem and charge me $75. I fell for it the first time, but when the tech arrived I watched him. He did absolutely nothing. The issue was fixed when he called into the tech office. The problem was on their end but I got billed anyway. Since then I have moved once, and returned from seasonal hold once, and both times the same issue. They refuse to correct the settings on their end, and instead want to send out a tech at my expense. Honestly i think the Techs know less than I know at this point. I am not an expert but I know how to read a router page and when I post the errors here . . and ask for help in diagnosing them . . .the post gets deleted as spam! Nice.