Read the forum guidelines
I've been having the same problem for a week. Send/receive attempts work less than 30% of the time with no change to settings or PW. I've tried 587 with TLS enabled & 465 with SSL - no change. I've had this problem in the past and it seems to eventually go away. Seems like a common recurring issue with Cox email for several years based on forum searches I did trying to find a solution.
This is happening on my Outlook 2010 client on a Windows 10 PC as well as on a Gmail client on an Android tablet - both using a POP connection. No way that Cox can blame this on the email application. Both were working fine before.
This significantly reduces productivity as well as being extremely annoying.
Experiencing the same issue. Spent 1hr between online chat and phone call with tech. "Tried" some changes to settings, and password, but problem continues. Occurs to different user id's at different times. Extremely inconvenient.