Forum Discussion

snoopy
New Contributor
7 years ago

Importing email folders

I am now on the new COX server for email. I have been using Windows Live Mail for several years and have several storage folders with lots of emails that I need to retain. Is there a way to import the folders and corresponding emails from Live Mail into the new COX email?

7 Replies

Replies have been turned off for this discussion
    MaryF
    Former Moderator

Hi Snoopy,

Is your Cox email that is currently in Windows Live Mail set up as POP or IMAP?

ChrisW
    Former Moderator

Hi Snoopy,

If your Windows Live Mail system is using a POP server to access your account, then all of your email and folders are stored locally on that computer and should be unaffected by this change. The New Cox email will only affect our Webmail interface.

snoopy
    New Contributor

Chris, does that mean there is no way to import my email folders in Webmail?

Thanks!

MaryF
    Former Moderator

Hi Snoopy,

Just to clarify, are you wanting to transfer your current folders that you have stored in your Cox POP (Windows Live Mail) account over to the New Cox Email platform?  If so, it can be done, but there will be limitations with your webmail storage.  The launch of the New Cox Email doesn't mean you have to stop using your Windows Live Mail.  You may continue using it as normal and you will retain all your emails. If you want to transfer the emails that you've saved in Windows Live Mail, your webmail storage will be restricted to 2 GB.  If you exceed the webmail storage, you will not be able to receive emails unless space is cleared by deleting old emails.  If your Windows Live Mail storage folders exceed 2 GB, then you won't be able to transfer all the emails and it may cause new emails to not come in. 

snoopy
    New Contributor

Mary, thanks for providing a thorough explanation. For now, I'm going to leave my folders in Windows Live Mail. When I have an opportunity to clean out unwanted emails, I will then transfer the folders to the new Cox email platform. If you can provide instructions on how to do that, it will save me time later when I'm ready to make the move.

Thanks so much for your help!

rd